sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2021 7:54 pm  #1

New Detroit Alt 98.7 No Local On Air Talent

There was a lot of talk even a little shock a few months back when long time alternative music station 89X in Windsor flipped format to Pure Country.   Immediately across the Detroit river WDZH The Breeze dropped the easy listening sounds for an alternative format with Detroit's Alt 98.7.

They kicked off the new music change with 10,000 songs commercial/announcer free.  They do have their on air line up now.  However a disappointment for some since their is no local talent from the Motor City.  More in this article from Inside Radio....
http://www.insideradio.com/free/look-ma-no-local-entercom-imports-all-national-talent-for-alt-98-7-detroit/article_14895196-575e-11eb-88bd-d73d2d88ee4c.html

January 17, 2021 8:45 pm  #2

Re: New Detroit Alt 98.7 No Local On Air Talent

That's Entercom for ya! I bet they think it's still not run cheap enough.
Reminds me of a time when Energy radio thought one voice one choice would work for hit music.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 21, 2021 10:22 am  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

That's Entercom for ya! I bet they think it's still not run cheap enough.
Reminds me of a time when Energy radio thought one voice one choice would work for hit music.

I don't think the "single voice" was the issue as the much as the lack of local due to how they happened to be doing it.  Most issues they had, was forgetting about the other 3 markets outside their Toronto focused one.   Music was a very close second, but that has more to do with the decisions being made.

Sending in VT's at least allows some attempt to being local..   Not as a good as in market hosts could do, but better than talking about stuff from out of market. 

January 21, 2021 12:21 pm  #4

Probably some of the concern and disappointment will be that since none of the hosts are from the Detroit/Windsor area there will be little focus on local bands.  That was one of the big strengths of 89X interviewing, and playing local alternative artists.  89X had the hosts that knew the local bands and clubs.

Can personalities who don't live or really know a city or the local haunts know much about local independent music?  It sounds like Detroit is getting Entercom's alternative music radio network .The spokesperson for Entercom talked about Alt 98.7 playing the alternative top hits.  How many of those hits are from the Detroit/Windsor area?

The one upside is that the station will have announcers 24/7 albeit pre recorded much of the day and likely more refined on air.  However they won't be playing any Canadian alternative music which was another strength of 89X since it introduced the large US audience to a lot of talent from our side of the border.