sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2021 8:35 pm  #1

Ya I got 3 radio studio's in my basement...wanna see them?

The guy built a full on radio station in his basement! Sackville Nova Scotia's Bob Cooke,  used to work in the business back in the 70's and he's got a passion for radio and probably has the largest collection of gear too

Here is a link to the CBC story and a video about him is on the page you land on.

Does anyone here have this kind of set up at home?

Just curious if anyone's basement has this going on? If you did you could play and say what you wanted too!!! 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1844646467924?fbclid=IwAR3F2x-cPTAqwL715pvDeSmYW9eMrgm7AYgm5ZtIh1DeAgI9f16mvu8H8tA

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 15, 2021 10:10 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 16, 2021 3:57 am  #2

Re: Ya I got 3 radio studio's in my basement...wanna see them?

memories of working at chns in halifax. on weekends, i would pass the mic to the jock for the next shift, a young university (dalhousie) student....ian hanomansing.
everytime i see updated pics of bob's collection i remember those familiar equipment brands... mccurdy, spotmaster, gates, ampex, magnecorder, etc..

January 16, 2021 11:48 am  #3

What a great set up Bob Cooke has, and with three studios!  Sounds like he had a good radio career in the east. He has some great vintage radio equipment.  I was trying to see what brand the more modern audio board was that had a wood frame.  It looks like either a WBS (Ward-Beck) or McCurdy.  I think it may be a WBS, I used one that looked very similar in the 90's.  But both WBS and Mcurdy for a time accented their audio boards with wood and looked a little similar.  

January 16, 2021 12:58 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

...  I was trying to see what brand the more modern audio board was that had a wood frame.  It looks like either a WBS (Ward-Beck) or McCurdy.  I think it may be a WBS, I used one that looked very similar in the 90's.  But both WBS and Mcurdy for a time accented their audio boards with wood and looked a little similar.  

maybe be a Dixon ?

January 16, 2021 1:28 pm  #5

Could be, but I am not familiar with Dixon equipment.  Almost all boards I used in my radio years at various stations and in college were either Ward-Beck or McCurdy. 

January 16, 2021 1:57 pm  #6

bob and i belong to an east coast radio board. i could ask him (if you want).

January 16, 2021 2:46 pm  #7

the original hank wrote:

Sure just curious.  Bob has really well maintained radio equipment and extensive. Still can't get over that he has three studios.   And he doesn't broadcast out anywhere according to the report, just a real hobby for himself?

January 16, 2021 2:56 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

the original hank wrote:

Sure just curious.  Bob has really well maintained radio equipment and extensive. Still can't get over that he has three studios.   And he doesn't broadcast out anywhere according to the report, just a real hobby for himself?

If I were him, I would want a transmitter - even low power.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 16, 2021 11:07 pm  #9

it appears none of us guessed correctly. the board is an "audio arts 60".