sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2021 1:54 pm  #1

Toronto Ethnic Station Gets Power Boost

I'm guessing the majority of those who gather here have rarely, if ever, tuned into CHHA Radio, the Spanish language format at 1610 AM in Toronto. But you're about to be able to hear it better should you choose to. The CRTC has agreed to allow the station to increase its power from 6,250 to 10,000 watts. 

Although the station claimed its signal didn't reach all the areas it's supposed to be serving, the CRTC found no evidence of that. But because it's a unique format, they gave them the bump anyway. 

I always love looking to see who intervened in these kinds of requests and sure enough, two interested parties had their say. The first was Radio Humsafar, which operates an ethnic outlet on the same frequency in Montreal. It opposed the extra reach, worried it might interfere with their own signal. The CRTC didn't believe it. (The fact that Radio Humsafar just also happens to operate an ethnic format at 1350 AM in Brampton couldn't have played a role in their response, could it? Nah, couldn't be!)

The other intervenor was CJRK-FM at 102.7 in Scarborough. They didn't oppose the increase, but wanted the CRTC to insist that CHHA couldn't broadcast in Tamil, which is the FM station's primary audience. The Commission noted that wasn't one of the languages the AM station uses and dismissed that concern, as well. 

The power boost has to be in place by Jan. 15, 2023.

CHHA Decision

January 16, 2021 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Ethnic Station Gets Power Boost

The CRTC also dismissed issues regarding programming of one of their "hosts" - who brokers the air time.  The CRTC in effect told that intervenor "Come back at licence renewal".  REALLY???? That's August 31, 2025. Consider that the complaint was filed in 2020.   Does anyone really think that CRTC bureaucrats will even give the complaint the time of day five years after it was filed???

It is my understanding that CHAA had avoided becoming a member of the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council over its history.  Normally the CBSC would deal with programming complaint issues, but their hands are tied.  When stations don't join the CBSC, the complaints are "supposed" to be dealt with by the CRTC, in real-time, i.e. in the year that the complaint is made.  It is what is called a "suspensive" condition of licence.    This is really a dereliction of duty by the CRTC.  They should either make every station hold a membership in the CBSC, or investigate complaints and take appropriate action, when those complaints arise if stations remain outside of CBSC.   Although some may chafe under CBSC decisions, by and large, the CBSC has made many rational decisions over the years and its procedures are an open book to both the public and broadcasters.   The CBSC also has had representatives (i.e. staff) from  large and small broadcasters sit on their regional councils.  Full discolsure: I have first hand knowledge of the CBSC, both sitting on its council(s) and advocating for broadcasters when they "get into trouble". Shame on the CRTC.

Last edited by tvguy (January 16, 2021 3:07 pm)

January 16, 2021 4:30 pm  #3

Re: Toronto Ethnic Station Gets Power Boost

RadioActive wrote:

The CRTC has agreed to allow the station to increase its power from 6,250 to 10,000 watts

This is a little odd as a power increase to 10,000 watts from 6,250 watts will create a......  well, very minor difference in coverage.

Is their real motive something else?