sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2021 8:38 am  #1

Radio-Canada's head Michel Bissonnette spends time at his Florida home

You have probably heard the news of Radio Canada's chief Michel Bissonnette spending much of December at his other home in Florida in December.

Although, it is a bit of a middle finger to all of us who are resisting the urge to go south too..,what I question is the amount of public shaming that happens...not just in this case, but with MPP Rod Phillips and the Mayor who defended his Police Chief in South Western Ontario...

I feel this an internal issue between the person and the employer. Not an open book for all to see, I find it a bit Orwellian...and is it really 1984 all over again?

May common sense and a bit of kindness prevail.

Here is more on the story...and I bring it up to discuss public shaming not to agree or disagree with Mr. Bissonnette...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/radio-canada-head-travelled-to-florida-despite-federal-travel-advisory/ar-BB1cLfOB

What is your take on the public shaming that's happening. To me it is slippery slope and almost fascist in it's style.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 15, 2021 10:43 am  #2

Re: Radio-Canada's head Michel Bissonnette spends time at his Florida home

And, let's credit CBC News for reporting on these people, both online and on newscasts. I've heard the newscasts and they made no effort to excuse the behaviour.

January 15, 2021 11:45 am  #3

Re: Radio-Canada's head Michel Bissonnette spends time at his Florida home

If they didn't cover it then Sun/Post Media and CBC haters would be screaming about a cover up.  National Post broke the story and even though it had also been on Radio Canada's website reader's comments were all about a cover up and a double standard.

I guess it is public shaming to a point and regardless how people feel Mr. Bissonnette didn't do anything illegal. But if you are a high profile executive and you go south, even if you own property the optics don't look good and it could blow up on you.  Thousands of snowbirds continue to go south even with all of the warnings and pleas to stay at home. CBC did the same with the Jian Ghomeshi situation and were front and centre with the information and story.