sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2021 6:58 pm  #1

getting it wrong

as i flicked on cp24, the "anchor" was going to an offsite "reporter" (a young whipper snapper probably located in the next room... or at his house) to report on trump's "impeachment". the reporter stated: "trump has been impeached and can no longer run for federal office".
say what? that "unable to run" part hinges on a trial and a 2/3'rds senate vote which, it appears, won't happen until the new president takes office. it's a crap shoot at best.
suddenly, there was a wave of bliss broadcast over the airwaves (if there is such a thing anymore).  

note: my comments have nothing to do with politics and everything to do with not bothering to do accurate research before going on-air.
if you're unsure, check, check, and check again. if you're sure (about something beyond you're expertise) check again.

Last edited by the original hank (January 13, 2021 8:13 pm)

January 13, 2021 8:11 pm  #2

Re: getting it wrong

An impeachment is like charges being laid. A Senate trial is like the court process. Nothing happens unless the person is actually convicted. 

I'll never forget something that happened to me years ago, when I took a shift writing stories for our TV newsroom's website. For some reason I can't quite remember, I was writing an item which required me to mention that Bill Clinton had been impeached over the Monica Lewinsky affair. He was not, of course, convicted. 

An absolutely frothing-at-the-mouth viewer emailed me a very nasty note, calling me every name in the book, insisting that I didn't know what I was talking about, I was an idiot and swearing that Clinton had never been impeached in his entire time in office. 

So I sent the guy a link to an old BBC story on the impeachment, since our site didn't quite go back that far. It showed without a doubt that what I said was true and that it was, in fact, the viewer who had no idea about history. 

I never heard from the guy again. And who knows if he still believes it?    

It's amazing but not surprising how little Canadians understand about this process. But you'd think reporters would know better. 

January 13, 2021 8:15 pm  #3

for some reason, many people don't understand "impeachment". congress isn't cop, judge, and jury.

Last edited by the original hank (January 13, 2021 8:21 pm)

January 13, 2021 9:02 pm  #4

I am always disappointed in our somewhat poor news media.  And I am speaking more local here. Much of the US broadcast news media for now at least is a lost cause as far as I am concerned.  Unless FOX News and popular right wing radio hosts grow up and take some responsibility for the shameful acts last week, nothing will change.  So far they have said and done nothing.  No admission that they were wrong about the election results and are so far taking absolutely no responsibility.   

Getting back closer to home, CTV News local and national and a few others have been going on and on over the past few days about how confusing all of the new stay at home orders are in Ontario.  

Why didn't the premier do it sooner? How will the police enforce? Why aren't big box stores included? Why did the government still wait a few days before enacting the lock down? How does the government know if the new measures will be effective? Why is the government not being clearer?   Please news media...give it a rest...

Yesterday and today Evan Solomon on his show Power Play, the lead story went on about Ontario's confusing new rules.  Today it was almost half the show!  Does the rest of the country really care?  Hey Evan, your show goes across the country not just Ontario!  And do you not remember Ontario actually had a more restrictive lockdown last spring that seemed to work and brought the COVID numbers down?  Most people seemed to understand the rules back in March.

I loved today the Chief of Police from Mississauga that was on CBC News Network.  He was asked if the new rules were confusing and how would the police enforce them.  The chief was cool and said it was unlikely that the police would be stopping people arbitrarily and asking where they were going or why they were out, since there is no curfew.

Most police involvement he felt would be similar to last spring. Usually the police would be investigating complaints from the public about obvious incidents of people not obeying the law or not wearing masks. Things like 20-30 people having a party in the park at night.  He said it would be similar to what police did last spring with the first lockdown, so it wasn't really that confusing. CTV and other Toronto news media please take note.   

January 13, 2021 9:53 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Yesterday and today Evan Solomon on his show Power Play, the lead story went on about Ontario's confusing new rules.  Today it was almost half the show!  Does the rest of the country really care?  Hey Evan, your show goes across the country not just Ontario!  

This has been brought up before, and I'll side with Even with the content selection again. The syndication of this show leaves the vast majority of the audience in Ontario (The Vancouver station has basically no listeners and runs the show at 8pm when talk radio in general has no listeners), so it would be crazy not to talk about the biggest topic on the minds of his Ontario audience. Yeah, if I were PD of CJAD I'd be mad, but that anger would be directed at the company for making me carry the show in the first place.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 13, 2021 9:55 pm)

January 13, 2021 10:53 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yesterday and today Evan Solomon on his show Power Play, the lead story went on about Ontario's confusing new rules.  Today it was almost half the show!  Does the rest of the country really care?  Hey Evan, your show goes across the country not just Ontario!  

This has been brought up before, and I'll side with Even with the content selection again. The syndication of this show leaves the vast majority of the audience in Ontario (The Vancouver station has basically no listeners and runs the show at 8pm when talk radio in general has no listeners), so it would be crazy not to talk about the biggest topic on the minds of his Ontario audience. Yeah, if I were PD of CJAD I'd be mad, but that anger would be directed at the company for making me carry the show in the first place.

, Sorry Aaron, I was talking about Power Play on CTV News Channel not his radio program.  Guess I should have made that clearer.  I enjoy his radio show and you are right about most of that audience is heavily weighted in the east.   His TV show is even repeated in the evening on CTV News Channel, likely for western Canada.  It plays at 5pm Pacific time or 8pm here for the repeat.

January 13, 2021 11:04 pm  #7

Oh! Well you called it Power Play, which I know is his TV show, so my bad for missing that.