sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2020 1:17 am  #1

Good News: Under The Influence Returns In January!

The Terry O'Reilly that wasn't a hockey player and didn't play for the Boston Bruins back in the 70's* has just tweeted that his very popular CBC radio show and podcast about advertising, marketing and pop culture, "Under the Influence" will be returning to the airwaves for a new season this January 7th.

It will be a welcome escape/distraction from the covid heavy coverage on the radio these days, something familiar, and entertaining. Terry always finds neat bits of info/trivia that helps you see the world in a new way. (And he always somehow manages to slip in a bit of Beatles in every episode as well.)

UTI will help reduce FOMO this winter without a doubt.

*going all the way back to the "Age of Persuasion" days ;)

December 17, 2020 9:50 am  #2

Re: Good News: Under The Influence Returns In January!

Thanks for the update.  Much appreciated.  Aside from UTI, and The World at Six,  there isn't much on CBC radio that is of interest to me.   I enjoy Mr. O'Reilly's wit and depth of knowledge of the biz.

December 17, 2020 11:47 am  #3

The only CBC Radio show I call appointment tuning. I will be listening. 

January 7, 2021 11:31 am  #4

Returns today (Thursday) at 11:30 AM, with a look at how some companies are being forced to change their branding  because of racist ties - including Uncle Ben's and Aunt Jemima.

Rerun on Saturday morning at the same time. Or you can listen on demand online after it airs. 

Under The Influence season preview 

"In the first episode of the season, we'll explore the themes of race and marketing, and how this new era is affecting the world of advertising. Several leading brands have their roots in racial stereotypes, like Aunt Jemima - which took its imagery from the slave era. Eskimo Pies is now re-naming their product and acknowledging their old name was offensive to Indigenous people. We'll also look at sports teams and their long history of controversy with team names.

"Other episodes coming up this season include: When Spokespeople Switch Brands, The Booming Business of Cemetery Tourism and The Art of the Movie Poster."

January 11, 2021 9:45 pm  #5

You're welcome tvguy. 😁

Totally agree RA appointment tuning without a doubt. 😏⌚

I managed to catch most of the first show on how brands are/aren't updating their social awareness of changing times. With all the seismic upheaval in the world from last March on, hearing the jaunty theme music, and the opening bit about the Golden Girls was the best kind of staycation...staycation..le sigh as Tina T. from am640 would say...😔😑😐

Is it cynical to think these changes brands make in their names, images, advertising, etc. sometimes/often? arise only when there's social media outrage from customers threatening to end their financial relationship with the company?

It's a sensitive topic and Mr. O'Reilly handled it deftly. I can't wait for the next episode.

It's worth noting that Terry and the talented Debbie O'Reilly have a number of podcasts on offer these days covering a range of subjects.

Last edited by betaylored (January 11, 2021 10:05 pm)