sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2020 5:46 pm  #1

Station of the Year - Canadian Radio Awards

I'll say it again... Boom is the best and it shows!  Congrats to the Boom & Stingray Team.

https://broadcastdialogue.com/broadcast-dialogue-announces-winners-of-inaugural-canadian-radio-awards/

December 14, 2020 6:08 pm  #2

Re: Station of the Year - Canadian Radio Awards

Not to mention Wayne Webster, who was named Music Director of the Year.

Interesting, though, that they gave Best Music Host to Jazz FM's Heather Bambrick over Boom's Stu Jeffries. (John Moore was named runner-up to a host at CKNW in Vancouver.)

I am stunned, though, that CFRB's David McKee came away with best newscaster. While he's very talented, news is not a comedy routine, as the CBSC itself ruled several months ago.  

December 14, 2020 8:07 pm  #3

To start this off.. I'm no fan of the CBSC and the people who abuse the point of it.    The fact the "complaint" was over a story on streaming services in Canada?   Clearly someone who has invested interest in Canadian content being forced on people, because the general public to be honest is not going to disagree with David's opinions.  Majority will agree.   On a story like that I really don't mind some common sense opinion in the lead up to the story itself as he was not the one one doing the report.  Only in Canada would a single complaint like this go anywhere.    This is not the intention of what the CBSC is for. Sadly instead of listeners simply turning the radio off, busy body types make them into huge issues, like this.

As for the example "He was looking forward to his 7th birthday party... now, thanks to a random drive-by shooting, he'll never enjoy his first kiss, or graduation, or growing old with his grandchildren", although a bit dramatic, I also don't find it as some editorial/attempt at humour.   It for sure hits emotion and a bit dramatic, but no worse than anything THE BIG 8's 20/20 news would have done years ago.

I'm reminded here of people needing to learn there is an off button...   If you don't like what comes out of the speakers, or the screen, then turn it off!   It's that simple.    The intent of the CBSC is to ensure facts are reported as facts, advertisers claims are justified, and content hits a basic level of decency when children could be listening/watching.   Nothing here in my view qualifies as a reasonable complaint worthy of the CBSC being involved. 

It's time we all act like adults here... and stop asking for big brother to stop someone because you disagree with them, especially when you yourself have the control of the ability to listen/watch.   

Last edited by radiokid (December 14, 2020 8:13 pm)

December 14, 2020 8:34 pm  #4

You may be misinterpreting some of what I meant, which happens all the time in these kinds of forums  because it's harder to read tone.  I actually agree with you - there's a switch that changes the station. And I use it whenever McKee comes on. I'm also not against your position about the two examples cited.

But the fact is that McKee tends to treat almost every story like it's part of a stand-up routine, with a zinger mixed into the intro. I get what he's trying to do. I've overreached a few times in the name of creativity myself, so I'd be a hypocrite if I said I didn't get what he's up to. But surely not every story needs an acid-filled sarcastic amused tone to it. Yet he does just that consistently.

I'll give you that's it's edgy. But is it responsible journalism? There's a question worth debating. My vote is for no, and I think it hurts CFRB's credibility, especially when it comes to putting the "news"  in "Newstalk 1010." But yeah, I turn him off whenever I can. There are a lot of other places to hear news. Perhaps he can go to work for Funny 820. He'd fit right in there. 

As for the CBSC and abuse, the gripe in question is nothing. This remains the all-time nitpicking ridiculous complaint, a diatribe so stupid that even the Council responded with an indignant and denigrating response to it. As they should have. 

December 14, 2020 8:36 pm  #5

Congrats to BOOM Toronto, well done!  David McKee I like him ok.  Overall I like Newstalk 1010's more conversational newscasters.  Not that they all should do it all the time, but McKee pulls it off.  Now if they would do something about the annoying, clueless and whiney frat boys in the afternoon, they would have an even a better station!  

December 14, 2020 8:38 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

As for the CBSC and abuse, the gripe in question is nothing. This remains the all-time nitpicking ridiculous complaint, a diatribe so stupid that even the Council responded with an indignant and denigrating response to it. As they should have. 

You linked to the McKee one - really curious to read the one you meant to link!

December 14, 2020 8:39 pm  #7

I noticed that in reviewing it and have fixed the link. Try it again.