sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2020 6:28 pm  #1

You Can Take The Broadcaster Out Of Politics, But...

...you can't take the politician out of the broadcaster. Or at least that's how it appears, as a friend of mine reports he just received an automated phone call from none other than Peter Shurman. What did the sometime 640 host want? He was calling "on behalf of Gila Martow" who is running to replace the retiring Peter Kent as Conservative MP for the riding of Thornhill.

He urged him to join the P.C. party so he could vote in favour of Martow, who is currently the MPP for the area and is now going for the bigger prize in Ottawa. 

What's amazing about this is how many broadcast types are in the middle of this otherwise simple story. Shurman used to be the P.C. provincial rep for the riding, before he quit in a dispute with then Ont. Tory leader Tim Hudak. He frequently appears on GNR 640.

Hudak is now a weekend host and pundit for CFRB and the Bell Talk Radio Network.

And Peter Kent was a longtime CBC TV newscaster before venturing into federal politics. (An ex-CBC guy a Conservative? The world has turned upside down!)

So even though Shurman often says his political days are behind him, this shows they're not quite as far in the rear view mirror as he might like you to believe.

December 6, 2020 6:40 pm  #2

Re: You Can Take The Broadcaster Out Of Politics, But...

RadioActive wrote:

Shurman used to be the P.C. provincial rep for the riding, before he quit in a dispute with then Ont. Tory leader Tim Hudak.

Shurman quit because it leaked that although he represented Thornhill, he had quietly moved to Niagara and Thornhillians were pissed, big time.   Shurman had zero hope of re-election

December 6, 2020 6:52 pm  #3

Ironically, there's this from a story on the dispute from back in 2014.

"His criticism would appear to undermine the candidacy of Gila Martow, the Thornhill PC candidate seeking to replace him at Queen’s Park."

Plus ca change and all that...

Former Thornhill MPP Shurman bashes PC Party, leader

December 6, 2020 10:44 pm  #4

Also seeking that Thornhill nomination is former Newstalk1010 host (Sunday 7-8 pm) Melissa Lantsman.  The gig fizzled out due to covid workplace changes earlier this year.

December 6, 2020 10:54 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

echomaster wrote:

Didn't care for SD - she wasn't a talk-show host.  She was a wealth of knowledge of 'getting into the political weeds'.  I do miss that - no Taylor Parnaby to give me the facts and then break it down.  Oh well, GNR640 is somewhat rudderless as evidenced by letting Conrad Black go because of his completely truthful statement that Canada is NOT a systemically racist country - despite what the woke-folk (640 managers) 'feel'

Love him or loath him, I miss Lord Black.  His weekly chat with Oakley was my favourite segment of the week, on any station. 

Charlie wrote:

With all due respect, I find Shurman to be a verbose, self-important, pompous ass.

So you love Conrad Black but it's Peter Shurman who's a verbose, self-important, pompous ass.

Try as I might that escapes the far reaches of reality.

December 6, 2020 11:57 pm  #6

g121 wrote:

Charlie wrote:

echomaster wrote:

Didn't care for SD - she wasn't a talk-show host.  She was a wealth of knowledge of 'getting into the political weeds'.  I do miss that - no Taylor Parnaby to give me the facts and then break it down.  Oh well, GNR640 is somewhat rudderless as evidenced by letting Conrad Black go because of his completely truthful statement that Canada is NOT a systemically racist country - despite what the woke-folk (640 managers) 'feel'

Love him or loath him, I miss Lord Black.  His weekly chat with Oakley was my favourite segment of the week, on any station. 

Charlie wrote:

With all due respect, I find Shurman to be a verbose, self-important, pompous ass.

So you love Conrad Black but it's Peter Shurman who's a verbose, self-important, pompous ass.

Try as I might that escapes the far reaches of reality.

Hmmm....that can't be the same Conrad Black that was dubbed Lord Tubby from the fine folks at Frank Magazine, shurely? 

December 7, 2020 6:16 pm  #7

Shurman is a great talkshow host, has great broadcasting experience, and does not tolerate fools - gladly or otherwise.

Last edited by Jay Baxter (December 7, 2020 6:16 pm)