sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2020 11:49 am  #61

Re: Who Gets Your Vote For U.S. Election Coverage?

I guess there is a time and a place.  The time for questioning  pres elect Joe Biden and vp elect Kamala Harris or evaluating past statements by them was not yesterday .  There was plenty of that during the campaign.

Yesterday for many Americans was a show of relief, celebration, and the hope for more stable and better days ahead.  The media was doing what they should have done yesterday, reflected the day that was happening around them. Yesterday was not one sided fawning, it was acknowledging the winners of a hard fought election, and documenting the happiness and joy of people all over the country.

The scrutiny and questioning of Biden-Harris will come in a few weeks but especially when they actually gain the reins of office and govern.  Yesterday and even possibly for the next few days is totally the wrong time for splitting hairs and scrutinizing any proposed policies.    . 

Besides there were a few reports and interviews showing some anti-Biden people and disgruntled Trump supporters with guns (on CBC at least) during the day.  And last night after the speeches it was brought up on CNN the hard task that Biden-Harris will have with the senate and the possibility of much gridlock ahead if all parties don't work together. I was impressed that virtually nothing was said about Trump or his administration.  Nothing good or bad, just basically ignored them.

Funny how I don't seem to recall citizens all over the US  taking to the streets in excitement and cheerfulness when Trump-Pence were elected.  There may have been a few celebrations, and much gloating from their leader, but nothing like the joy and happiness witnessed yesterday in towns and cities all over the US and beyond.

November 8, 2020 11:53 am  #62

Indeed, there was much happiness on the streets of the U.S. and it was understandable. But reporters should not have been joining in the giddiness - just covering it. They got too emotionally involved for my liking. At least on the stations I watched. And I'd say that no matter who won.  

November 8, 2020 12:33 pm  #63

RadioActive wrote:

Indeed, there was much happiness on the streets of the U.S. and it was understandable. But reporters should not have been joining in the giddiness - just covering it. They got too emotionally involved for my liking. At least on the stations I watched. And I'd say that no matter who won.  

I understand what you are saying, but reporters are people.  And people can get emotional given the situation and when surrounded by hundreds in a celebratory mood.  Those yesterday that did wear their heart on their sleeve were being honest and human, and even though some did get swept up in the moment, it is a little hard to see how you couldn't.  This  isn't a lack of professionalism or control or even showing bias, for those few moments, they are just being themselves.

November 8, 2020 1:02 pm  #64

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but reporters are people.  And people can get emotional given the situation and when surrounded by hundreds in a celebratory mood.

It's their job to stay unemotional and detached. If they didn't do their jobs, that's pretty inexcusable. And it just feeds into the conspiracies about media bias among those who are sure the fix is in. None of the networks is well served by that. 

Meanwhile, there was a fascinating display of craziness on TV Sunday morning when both CNN & Fox News were openly attacking each other in the exact same hour. Both have shows dedicated to covering the media. Fox's is called "MediaBuzz" while CNN's is "Reliable Sources." As they were both airing at 11 AM Sunday, they were each bashing the other mercilessly, accusing the opposing network of aiding in fraud and being dishonest with viewers - at the exact same time! 

It was quite a spectacle as I tuned back and forth. It was also a very sad display that it's come down to this.