sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2020 12:47 am  #31

Re: Who Gets Your Vote For U.S. Election Coverage?

the electoral college votes have remained the same all evening. that's gotta be rough when trying to fill.

November 5, 2020 11:14 am  #32

never endng

November 5, 2020 1:49 pm  #33

cash wrote:

never endng

kinda like Ground Hog day in November...

November 5, 2020 2:39 pm  #34

as i was surfing through various "news" channels, i stopped at fox (i know...i know). they were displaying a  "breaking news banner" & (apparently) a few first-hand accounts of election improprieties. they cut away to a cluster of mics with local flags on them. an elderly woman was being guided towards the mics (she appeared to have a bit of a problem with the concept). she then says she asked for her ballot and was told "she already voted and the same thing happened to my roommate" (which made it sound like this happened in a seniors home). then a young african american man steps up. he thanks everyone for being there. in a well spoken matter he states how he was turned away from viewing the counting procedure despite being a member of the "press". he said this occurred at 1:00 am (this morning) and all the official at the door could say was "what are you doing her?"  bam... the fox anchors are suddenly back in the picture. they briefly summarize the elderly lady's "story" with no mention of the young man.
well, so much for that breaking news. back they go to the magic board.
too funny.

November 5, 2020 2:47 pm  #35

I'm not sure what this means, but the numbers show it to be true. Cable collectively clobbered the traditional networks - and Fox News beat them all. You can interpret that however you want.

"Fox News’ primetime coverage of Election Night 2020 topped all television networks and set a record for the most-watched Election Night coverage in cable news history. FNC’s primetime coverage averaged 13.7 million total viewers and nearly 5 million in the 25-54 demographic, beating ABCNBC, CBS and all cable news networks in both.

"CNN (9.1 million) was second for the night in viewership, followed by MSNBC (7.3 million), ABC (6.1 million) and NBC (5.6 million)."

2020 Election Coverage Viewership Drops To 56.9 Million, Fox News Sets Cable News Ratings Record

November 5, 2020 2:56 pm  #36

RadioActive wrote:

...and Fox News beat them all. You can interpret that however you want.

I interpret that as helping to explain the utter madness to our south.

November 5, 2020 6:56 pm  #37

November 5, 2020 9:14 pm  #38

RadioActive wrote:

Meanwhile, back home...

Who won the US election? In Canada, it was CNN

Well, there we have it:
Canada - sanity - CNN
America - insanity - Fox News

I rest my case. 

November 5, 2020 10:44 pm  #39

OK, I'm not trying to get political here, although it's hard to avoid, but this is simply unprecedented. In fact, I've never seen or heard of this happening in all my years of watching TV news and press conferences.

The fact they all made the same decision separately is completely astounding. Another moment of history in what has already been an historic election. 

From Forbes Magazine:

All Major Broadcast Networks Cut Away From President’s Election Remarks

"For viewers—and for students of both politics and the news media—it was an extraordinary moment: first that a president would stand at the lectern in the White House and accuse his political rivals of committing fraud without any evidence, and then for the networks to decide it was a smarter decision to stop airing what the president of the United States had to say."

November 5, 2020 11:02 pm  #40

Not sure if anyone saw Trump's appearance earlier tonight. A performance reminiscent of his pathetic late  night victory speech on election night.

He said the election is being stolen from him in states where he is losing because of corrupt Democratic election officials. Should be noted that two of the five states that are currently classified as too close to call are controlled by Republicans as is their election apparatus. He said incorrectly that Georgia's elections are run by Democrats but they are not.. A very clear example of a bold faced lie. Not sure how his cult following does not see through what he is trying to do with his pathetic ramblings.

Most of of the ballots being counted now are going Democratic and it's b/c most state legislatures decided not to count the mail ballots until this stage. A lot of the legislatures are Republican.Trump railed against early mail voting so his supporters voted same day. Many Biden supporters took advantage of early mail voting this year due to covid. Simple as that and not some nefarious conspiracy to steal votes.

BTW Fox may lead in the news ratings but for full context you have to look at  the combined ratings for CNN, MSNBC and the Network news to understand that most of the country is not stuck in the fox hole.

Last edited by Fitz (November 5, 2020 11:04 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 6, 2020 8:28 am  #41

Regarding that address that Trump gave last night. CNN did carry it in it's entirety but many networks  did not and as the torrent of untruths started to unfold, they dropped their coverage of the rant.. That has probably never happened to a presidential address in the heat of an election.

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 6, 2020 3:25 pm  #42

A special vote should go to Wolf Blitzer.  Love the way that Wolf remains enthusiastic and gives the impression that some big numbers are just around the corner, and could happen any time.  

Meanwhile the score, for almost three days now is still Biden 253 and Trump 213. Except for CTV news channel and Associated Press are showing Trump 214 and Biden 264.   

November 6, 2020 3:37 pm  #43

paterson1 wrote:

Meanwhile the score, for almost three days now is still Biden 253 and Trump 213. Except for CTV news channel and Associated Press are showing Trump 214 and Biden 264.   

Yes, and this count is also reflected on the PBS News Hour and Fox News web sites.  As you mentioned, AP has declared Biden with the 11 ECV votes from Arizona.  Both PBS and Fox are pulling their numbers from AP, I guess exclusively... 

The other nets and cable news outlets are using the AP results, and their own polling models.

November 6, 2020 6:20 pm  #44

Glen Warren wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Yes, and this count is also reflected on the PBS News Hour and Fox News web sites.  As you mentioned, AP has declared Biden with the 11 ECV votes from Arizona.  Both PBS and Fox are pulling their numbers from AP, I guess exclusively... 

The other nets and cable news outlets are using the AP results, and their own polling models.

Thanks to both of you.  I was wondering what accounted for the 11 vote discrepancy.

November 7, 2020 1:03 pm  #45

Biden wins.......................................finally. 

MSNBC called it first
then CNN
and then FOX

Last edited by cash (November 7, 2020 1:04 pm)

November 7, 2020 1:13 pm  #46

Exhale

November 7, 2020 2:21 pm  #47

I don't want to come off like a Trump supporter, but now the real show begins:

First you have Trump and his lawsuits.  Most of which are rather frivolous but if he can get anything to stick, it will really gum up the works.  And who knows for how long?

Then you have the fact that if you go by the popular vote, (which I know doesn't mean anything as far as the electoral college goes) Trump brought in more votes this election than he did last time -- when he won.  That in itself can be perceived as very divisive.

I thought our federal elections were antiquated, especially having worked one as a deputy returning officer.  I'm all for mail-in ballots and alternative ways of voting.  It's just you would think a country with the some of the greatest minds in the world could come up with a better way to vote.

As for the coverage, I've been pretty impressed with CNN overall.  I gave up on CBC when they were already projecting Trump with 283 electoral college votes Tuesday night.

Well anyway, get out the popcorn.  It's going to be one hell of a ride. 

November 7, 2020 3:20 pm  #48

The next-biggest losers of the outcome are the news media. Pro or con, Trump has been an ever-secreting cash cow for them - and those days are (hopefully) drawing to a close.

Pour one bucket of piss out for them.

November 7, 2020 7:22 pm  #49

The CBC  was stuck at at 253 Electoral votes for Biden until Penn was called by all the major Networks. Only Fox and The AP had a higher projection because they called Arizona on Tuesday.

Regarding the popular vote both candidates got a lot of votes but Biden leads in that category by 5 million votes right now and that margin will grow when states like California, Illinois and NY complete their count.

Since 1992 there has only been one election ( 2004) where the Republicans won the popular vote. Not sure about that much touted notion that the US is a centre right country.

Last edited by Fitz (November 7, 2020 7:22 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

November 7, 2020 8:14 pm  #50

Chrisphen wrote:

Pour one bucket of piss out for them   

Harsh words, but everyone's entitled to their opinion

November 7, 2020 10:47 pm  #51

I am one of those who is not entirely unhappy with the result of the American election. But as I scanned the network coverage of the Biden/Harris victory speeches Saturday night, I have to say I have never seen such one-sided fawning from the reporters.

Frankly, I was very uneasy watching experienced news people telling us how they had tears in their eyes and were clearly giddy after the speeches.

I know it was a tough four years (and it ain't over yet!) but whatever happened to objectivity from journalists? That was embarrassing.

November 7, 2020 10:54 pm  #52

RadioActive wrote:

I am one of those who is not entirely unhappy with the result of the American election. But as I scanned the network coverage of the Biden/Harris victory speeches Saturday night, I have to say I have never seen such one-sided fawning from the reporters.

Frankly, I was very uneasy watching experienced news people telling us how they had tears in their eyes and were clearly giddy after the speeches.

I know it was a tough four years (and it ain't over yet!) but whatever happened to objectivity from journalists? That was embarrassing.

You know what's truly embarrassing?  It name be Trump,

After the disgusting mess we've been subject to these last 4+ years, it must be a massive relief to them they're dealing with an adult again.

November 8, 2020 1:11 am  #53

Ah, but that's the point. It doesn't matter whether reporters hate Trump or love Biden. If they're doing it right, viewers shouldn't be able to tell either way

November 8, 2020 1:15 am  #54

=12pxThere was an interesting moment on WBEN after Biden was declared.  An analyst on ABC Radio's live coverage talked about how the vitriol from right wing commentators like Rush Limbaugh will probably prevent the country from uniting.  In the commercial break that followed there was a promo for WBEN's weekday lineup that included, you guessed it, Rush Limbaugh.

November 8, 2020 1:36 am  #55

Sorry RA, I disagree. After the lies, anger, insults and disrespect that Americans have been subjected to for the past four years, the response of the media to Biden’s election was totally appropriate.  Van Jones’of CNN totally lost it.
Rightfully so....you can be a parent again and teach your kids that good character and truth DO matter and that
lowlife in the White House does not represent acceptable presidential behaviour. The emotional reaction of the
commentators to Biden’s and Harris’ speeches were very appropriate.  The pending departure of Trump is a breath
of fresh air especially for those news correspondents who have been verbally assaulted by the president.

November 8, 2020 2:30 am  #56

Mercifully, Rush Limbaugh has lived to see this day.

November 8, 2020 8:30 am  #57

mojo55 wrote:

. . . pending departure of Trump is a breath of fresh air especially for those news correspondents who have been verbally assaulted by the president   

True, but that was NOT RadioActive's point

November 8, 2020 8:59 am  #58

mojo55 wrote:

Sorry RA, I disagree. After the lies, anger, insults and disrespect that Americans have been subjected to for the past four years, the response of the media to Biden’s election was totally appropriate.  Van Jones’of CNN totally lost it.
Rightfully so....you can be a parent again and teach your kids that good character and truth DO matter and that
lowlife in the White House does not represent acceptable presidential behaviour. The emotional reaction of the
commentators to Biden’s and Harris’ speeches were very appropriate.  The pending departure of Trump is a breath
of fresh air especially for those news correspondents who have been verbally assaulted by the president.

I do understand what you're saying and it's easy to want to revel in the defeat of someone you see as a danger to liberty. I just want to let the interview subjects say it - not the reporters, who are supposed to be objective. 

Fair to point out that Van Jones is a commentator for CNN, not a reporter. His reaction was totally appropriate for his role on the station. It was quite moving and genuine, and a terrific moment of television. He did exactly what they pay him to do. 

I guess I'm a purist for this kind of stuff. I like not to know where an individual reporter stands on an issue when they're covering a story. State the facts, set the scene, perhaps give some background. But if they're doing their jobs right, I shouldn't know where they stand on any given issue. Strictly speaking, as a reporter, that's not what they're there for. And it only feeds the narrative about a biased media for those who are convinced that's already the case. In the end, that won't help any of them. 

November 8, 2020 10:36 am  #59

RadioActive wrote:

mojo55 wrote:

I do understand what you're saying and it's easy to want to revel in the defeat of someone you see as a danger to liberty. I just want to let the interview subjects say it - not the reporters, who are supposed to be objective. 

Fair to point out that Van Jones is a commentator for CNN, not a reporter. His reaction was totally appropriate for his role on the station. It was quite moving and genuine, and a terrific moment of television. He did exactly what they pay him to do. 

I guess I'm a purist for this kind of stuff. I like not to know where an individual reporter stands on an issue when they're covering a story. State the facts, set the scene, perhaps give some background. But if they're doing their jobs right, I shouldn't know where they stand on any given issue. Strictly speaking, as a reporter, that's not what they're there for. And it only feeds the narrative about a biased media for those who are convinced that's already the case. In the end, that won't help any of them. 

I do understand the point you're making but this is hardly normal times. 

I'm a purist in that I expect the President to not lie, mock, insult every single day.  I expect the President to not actively disregard the guidance of the medical experts during a pandemic.  I expect more of the President than spouting carnival barker, con-man BS every day.

Trump has broken every presidential norm; every norm of being decent & civil as a person.

The more others adhered to accepted norms, the more Trump got away with.  Trump vilified the media  daily; I can understand the media showing some real emotion in return.

November 8, 2020 10:46 am  #60

I fully understand those sentiments. The man was outrageous and very un-presidential and that's putting it mildly. But if people are going to criticize Fox News for pandering to him all those years, then the major networks have to be careful they don't do the same for Biden. 

Fact check Trump on everything he says.

But also do the same for the incoming president. 

The one thing we all know is that politicians lie or distort the facts to make themselves look better. If you do it for one, make sure you do it for the other. That's all I'm asking. Otherwise, they're going to wind up being no better than Fox. 

Believe me, I'm in no way defending the Orange One. I'm worried more about journalism and its objectivity. Because if you lose that, as a news organization, you lose everything. 

Speaking of Fox, I wonder what the latter network will do once their star attraction is no longer in charge come January. Will they soften their stance or become the "All Anti-Biden-All-The-Time" network for the next four years? There are also rumours that Trump may start his own TV cable or online news network. I wonder what Rupert Murdoch will think of him then if he suddenly becomes "the competition" and starts eating into their numbers? 

It will be nerve-wracking to say the least, but there are certainly some interesting times in American media ahead.