sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2020 8:42 pm  #1

Big Yellow Board Time / Doing Midnights

For half of the year, every now and then, someone will comment that the clock is wrong on the big yellow board.

RadioActive will patiently mention how it's possible to adjust the time. Many of us can't be bothered to, and so the time change tonight with the clocks falling back means that we can once again know who posted what when and who had a serious case of insomnia.

With the clocks going back, the radio jocks and production people pulling a midnight shift tonight work a loooong night. (For some reason seven hours instead of the usual six felt like forever when I was on-air which called for playing a second sideshow to get through, that and lots of caffeine.)

It's a good night to check out the new tunes from U.S.S. and Danny Elfman.

Happy Halloween 🎃👽🛸

October 31, 2020 8:55 pm  #2

Re: Big Yellow Board Time / Doing Midnights

I always felt sorry for those working the overnight shift on the time change morning. Of course, they gain it back in the spring, but it does put the "grave" in the graveyard shift. Same for hospitals, cops, firefighters, etc. (And somehow it's even worse if you work the "fall back" phase, but then don't have to work the "spring forward" shift 6 months from now!) 

As for changing the time on SOWNY, here's the link on how to do it if you want to. (It's really just one simple adjustment, so it's pretty easy.)

October 31, 2020 10:23 pm  #3

At least you didn't have to offer a Mea Culpa for your station handing the "clock" change,  like this Michigan outlet...LOL

https://www.adweek.com/tvspy/michigan-station-apologizes-for-cock-y-daytime-saving-time-error/225435/

October 31, 2020 10:53 pm  #4

I presume the backend SOWNY servers actually run on GMT time (like many broadcast systems).  This permits anyone in the world to use the system and have things appear in local time.  Of course, you must apply your own "local" offset to make the timestamps look right.  If you live in an area that performs a time change twice a year, you must change your offset twice a year.