sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2020 4:36 pm  #1

World Series Ratings the lowest ever

Not sure what is causing this...it could be that baseball pales in comparison to the effects of the pandemic, or that Tampa is not a big draw as far as viewers go. I mean heck, they have a hard time getting 15,000 fans out to their home games. There were more cardboard cut out fans than they actually have real fans this season!

Or it could that it is election season in the U.S. (although personally, I am bored of that narrative)...

But according to the Calgary Sun, the ratings have been pretty dismal.

Here is what the article said, RATINGS WORST-EVER FOR 2020 WORLD SERIES

"
The Tampa Bay Rays and the Los Angeles Dodgers are bringin’ it.But they’re not bringin’ eyeballs to the ballpark.Ratings from the first two games of the 2020 World Series between the two finalists on Fox brought in the lowest ratings in Fall Classic history.And it could get even worse if the trend of Games 1 and 2 continue through the weekend.Game 3 went Friday night.Games 4 and 5 follow Saturday and Sunday evenings.It’s hoped those heart-of-the-series contests don’t return the ugly ratings of Tuesday and Wednesday, when the battles between the Dodgers and the Rays brought in only 9.195 and 8.950 million viewers, respectively. (Share-wise, that’s a 5.1 and 5.0 rating).They are the two worst scores for any World Series ratings — since at least 1968, when Nielsen first started tracking them."

What is your take big yella? 

Have you watched the World Series? Tonight could be the last game of this season too!

If you've watched have you enjoyed it?

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (October 27, 2020 4:37 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 27, 2020 5:12 pm  #2

Re: World Series Ratings the lowest ever

Tampa Bay can't draw flies at its own home ballpark (back in the days when fans were allowed to show up) so it's no surprise people in other cities have no interest in the team.

What's really weird about this, though, is that sports people that I've listened to over the past week say this is one of the most unpredictable, wildest, entertaining and best World Series in years. 

But most of us are missing it. I have to admit I haven't watched even a full inning.  

October 27, 2020 6:22 pm  #3

I'm a casual sports fan; I'll watch playoffs when things get exciting or when it's what everyone's talking about. Haven't watched a minute this year. I haven't even known when any given sport has even *had* its playoffs.

October 27, 2020 8:14 pm  #4

Hell of a Series, especially game 4 last Saturday night.

It was 1-0 tonight for TB after two batters.

October 27, 2020 8:16 pm  #5

The Calgary Sun broke this story?

Last edited by Chrisphen (October 27, 2020 8:18 pm)

October 27, 2020 8:35 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

The Calgary Sun broke this story?

Tim Heitman / USA TODAY Sports

October 27, 2020 8:50 pm  #7

The pandemic has made enjoyment of a lot of things a buzzkill.  Baseball only reminds you of how things were in normal times and that's depressing.

October 28, 2020 7:44 am  #8

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Not sure what is causing this...it could be that baseball pales in comparison to the effects of the pandemic, or that Tampa is not a big draw as far as viewers go. I mean heck, they have a hard time getting 15,000 fans out to their home games. There were more cardboard cut out fans than they actually have real fans this season!

Or it could that it is election season in the U.S. (although personally, I am bored of that narrative)...

But according to the Calgary Sun, the ratings have been pretty dismal.

Here is what the article said, RATINGS WORST-EVER FOR 2020 WORLD SERIES

"
The Tampa Bay Rays and the Los Angeles Dodgers are bringin’ it.But they’re not bringin’ eyeballs to the ballpark.Ratings from the first two games of the 2020 World Series between the two finalists on Fox brought in the lowest ratings in Fall Classic history.And it could get even worse if the trend of Games 1 and 2 continue through the weekend.Game 3 went Friday night.Games 4 and 5 follow Saturday and Sunday evenings.It’s hoped those heart-of-the-series contests don’t return the ugly ratings of Tuesday and Wednesday, when the battles between the Dodgers and the Rays brought in only 9.195 and 8.950 million viewers, respectively. (Share-wise, that’s a 5.1 and 5.0 rating).They are the two worst scores for any World Series ratings — since at least 1968, when Nielsen first started tracking them."

Have you watched the World Series? Tonight could be the last game of this season too!

If you've watched have you enjoyed it?

Covid-19 took a lot of people away from playoff sports in-general. NBA took a major hit. These sports also got political. That is a no-no.

Baseball has been trying to cater to adults by playing primetime games at 8:30pm ET when they need to start games at 7pm to attract the younger audience. But it's all about the money. MLB should be playing LCS and World Series games on Saturday and Sunday at 5 or 6pm in the middle of the 4pm football games (NFL and NCAA). Kids go to bed before games are finished. Games are too long as is. MLB is chasing the almighty dollar, subsequently hurting their future fanbase and even current ones thanks to their politicking.

October 28, 2020 8:19 am  #9

WilliamT wrote:

Baseball has been trying to cater to adults by playing primetime games at 8:30pm ET when they need to start games at 7pm to attract the younger audience   

An argument could be made that adult/seniors listeners doze off in the Laz-E-Boy around 8:30 p.m. 

October 28, 2020 2:20 pm  #10

Most of the points already made here I agree with....if it was an LA vs Yankees series that would have made a huge difference....TB has maybe 72 die hard fans in total...because LA was involved they had to start games after 8pm ET...but any North America wide championship game or series needs to start at 730pm ET  the latest....baseball is also a very old school 'sport' and there's no way any sporting team game should last over 3 hours in this day an age of little attention span...Covid has changed the world...so few wanted to watch the NHL and NBA finals in the dead of summer as well

October 28, 2020 3:28 pm  #11

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Unfortunately for MLB, they elected to followed the NBA's disastrous example and visibly embrace a very divisive, controversial and much-despised national movement seeking to destroy the fabric of the country, while turning their backs on country itself. The predictable result: the country responded by tuning them out. Elementary, my dear Joe.

October 28, 2020 6:15 pm  #12

6079 Smith W wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Unfortunately for MLB, they elected to followed the NBA's disastrous example and visibly embrace a very divisive, controversial and much-despised national movement seeking to destroy the fabric of the country, while turning their backs on country itself. The predictable result: the country responded by tuning them out. Elementary, my dear Joe.

Hilarious! You should apply to The Onion.

October 29, 2020 12:26 am  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

6079 Smith W wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Keep the CanCon.... instead of the onion, go with the Beaverton, or 22 minutes.

October 29, 2020 10:16 am  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

6079 Smith W wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Or Gallup:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/319256/farming-rises-sports-tumbles-industry-ratings.aspx