sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2020 9:51 am  #1

Bill Carroll’s Friday Afternoon National Talk Show Is Gone

Looks like Bill Carroll’s Friday afternoon national show on The Bell Talk Radio Network is gone – at least for now. The CFRA host used to sub for Evan Solomon on the last day of the work week, while Solomon preps for Sunday’s Question Period on CTV.

But now the company has decided to change the shows that air there, although I think both are not great replacements. The first hour, at noon, will consist of a six-part podcast/broadcast by marketing expert Tony Chapman called “Life Matters,” a sort of "how to improve your life" show. This is the kind of thing they force Barb DiGiulio to do on the Nightside and it’s one the reasons I almost never listen to her.

The last hour, from 1-2, will be “Listen For A Change,” hosted by the ever-present Jim Richards. The description doesn’t exactly make me want to tune in, either. It “provides real-time expert support for listeners struggling with mental health issues.” Again, the kind of self-improvement drivel that instantly makes me flee elsewhere, although I can see why they’re doing it during the pandemic and if it helps people, that's a bonus.

Some people love these kind of things – I personally can’t stand them. But hey, whatever works.

The Chapman program is slated to last 6 weeks. Whether Carroll comes back after that or what takes its place when it ends is still unknown.

October 23, 2020 2:27 pm  #2

Re: Bill Carroll’s Friday Afternoon National Talk Show Is Gone

RadioActive wrote:

The last hour, from 1-2, will be “Listen For A Change,” hosted by the ever-present Jim Richards. The description doesn’t exactly make me want to tune in, either. It “provides real-time expert support for listeners struggling with mental health issues.” Again, the kind of self-improvement drivel that instantly makes me flee elsewhere, although I can see why they’re doing it during the pandemic and if it helps people, that's a bonus.

I caught a few minutes of the Jim Richards piece this afternoon including this amusing bit: Jim closed with a caller and then noted, "we are getting a lot of calls from men, so here we go we have a woman, this is Joan (or another name I forget) calling: Joan, you are on the air. Joan: "Hi Jim, so my husband...."

October 23, 2020 2:42 pm  #3

Re: Bill Carroll’s Friday Afternoon National Talk Show Is Gone

6079 Smith W wrote:

..."we are getting a lot of calls from men, so here we go we have a woman, this is Joan (or another name I forget) calling: Joan, you are on the air. Joan: "Hi Jim, so my husband...."

...you're nobody unless you're Mrs. Somebody...