sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2020 10:37 am  #1

CBC Launches "Local News Matters" Website - But Where's Radio & TV?

The CBC has launched something called "Local News Matters," a searchable online directory that purports to connect anyone in Canada with over a thousand of what it terms "credible" sources for journalism. (How it determines what's "credible" isn't spelled out.)

I did a search on the site for "Toronto" and was given a large number of choices, which I'm happy to see did include more conservative leaning publications like The National Post and The Toronto Sun. (With all the allegations of CBC's left wing bias, I wasn't sure they'd actually be there.)

The one thing I noticed is that none of the results included any radio or TV stations - including the CBC itself! Just newspapers. They assembled the list with the help of newspapers, so it makes sense, but I would hope that any database of trusted news sources would include everything from responsible broadcasters to online websites. Perhaps that's coming, but it's not there at launch. 

Anyway, you can try it for yourself here

Local news Matters press release.  

October 7, 2020 11:43 am  #2

Re: CBC Launches "Local News Matters" Website - But Where's Radio & TV?

Jessie Brown tweeted that apparently Epoch Times and Financial Post are there. 'Credible' sources, indeed.

October 7, 2020 11:55 am  #3

I don't have a problem with the Financial Post being there, but The Epoch Times does raise some eyebrows. So do 10 listings for the various local "Snapd" papers that are given away for free in grocery stores. They're mostly harmless but I've looked at a few of them over the years and there's very little "news" there. 

How can you be labelled a "trusted news source" when you don't really publish any news?

And again, what about electronic media? Radio & TV stations have to abide by slander and libel laws and be accurate about what appears on their newscasts just as newspapers do. (Like opinion columnists in papers, talk show hosts are not news people, so they can opine on whatever they like.)

Why aren't legit broadcasters in the database?    

October 7, 2020 2:03 pm  #4

It says right in the opening line of the description that they will be expanding the Local News Directory list to other media in the coming months and working with other media associations.  Right now this list has been developed with News Media Canada which represents newspapers. So that's why right now it is print and their websites only. (See Below)..

The Local News Directory has been developed in collaboration with News Media Canada. CBC/Radio-Canada will be working with other media associations to expand the list in the coming months. A media organization is eligible to appear in this directory if it provides general interest news coverage for a community, city, province, territory or region.

Last edited by paterson1 (October 7, 2020 2:09 pm)

October 7, 2020 3:17 pm  #5

Odd, though, that the CBC doesn't list itself at launch. 

October 7, 2020 6:53 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Odd, though, that the CBC doesn't list itself at launch. 

It would be kind of pointless to list yourself as the only credible broadcast media in a directory.  It makes a little more sense to include yourself with the other broadcasters after you have finished working with broadcast media organizations to complete the directory.   The initial section of the directory is for print only and corresponding websites.  CBC ain't print.