sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2020 4:17 pm  #1

Strombo On His New Online Gig, HNIC & The Purity Of MuchMusic

"I never wanted to be famous."

So says George Stroumboulopoulos as he embarks on yet another new gig, while reflecting on his MuchMusic days and his time on Hockey Night in Canada, which he still insists was actually a success. 

Strombo talks ‘Hockey Night in Canada,’ the art of hosting and recreating the Much magic on Apple Music Hits

September 24, 2020 5:45 pm  #2

Re: Strombo On His New Online Gig, HNIC & The Purity Of MuchMusic

George is a terrific person and a thoughtful broadcaster who has done a ton of work for music and yes for sports in this country and beyond.  I believe him when he says he 'never wanted to be famous' and to the point as to wether HNIC was a success or not while he was there, in some ways, he's right ...  it was.  George is one of those individuals that make this industry, better. 

September 24, 2020 5:59 pm  #3

Is he still on CBC 2?

September 24, 2020 6:28 pm  #4

Don's time up was way overdue. Bye!

September 26, 2020 2:06 am  #5

Ron McLean has only been the most beloved host of the most beloved show in Canadian sports TV history for three and a half decades.
Call him what you want but you can't deny his talent or success.

September 26, 2020 5:33 am  #6

McLean is a weasel.

September 26, 2020 11:26 am  #7

The only thing that Cherry actually said about McLean was that he was disappointed how Ron handled the situation.  When interviewed Cherry didn't appear to be upset, bitter or angry at all with McLean, just disappointed.

He did say however that they were still friends.  We have all had friends say things that we were not pleased or disappointed with, but have also forgiven them.  This sounds like the case here.

I am sure if Cherry ever writes a book on his firing from Rogers, all will come out, but for now and since last November Don hasn't made a big deal about his relationship/friendship with Ron.  He also hasn't really said much about Rogers either. 

I still find it interesting that it was Rogers Media that ultimately ended Coach's Corner and Cherry's broadcast hockey career.  However I do agree with comment that Don's time was pretty much up.  It would have been nice if he could have exited under better circumstances, and not at mid season. 

Last edited by paterson1 (September 26, 2020 11:28 am)

September 27, 2020 12:01 pm  #8

Radio111 wrote:

McLean is a weasel.

Friendship has its limits.  Don could have apologized but didn't, giving Rogers no choice but to fire him.  Ron chose to apologize.  Different strokes for different folks.  Why should Ron lose his career over something he didn't say and obviously didn't believe in?  He obviously has hills he is willing to die on.  His interviews with Gary Bettman over the years prove that.

September 27, 2020 2:29 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan was often referred to as a "weasel" back in the old WWF days.

And here, in Toronto, Ernie Roth (aka Abdulah Faroukh) was generally referred to as The Weasel.