sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2020 2:30 pm  #1

Do You Believe This? Survey Says Local Radio News Salaries Up 4.5%

It hasn't been my experience, and I believe this survey applies to the U.S.

I have no doubt they've crunched the numbers but in a time when staffing is being sharply reduced, I still don't really believe it. See what you think. 

RTDNA: Local Radio News Salaries Rose By 4.5% Over 2019

September 23, 2020 3:21 pm  #2

Re: Do You Believe This? Survey Says Local Radio News Salaries Up 4.5%

This likely is accurate but we would need to know are they talking about increases in average salaries?  A lot of smaller US stations no longer have news or news departments so these low income news jobs no longer exist.  This automatically would bring up the average.  Also many reporters and news personnel are now responsible for more outlets in a companies chain of stations.  So they could have had a reasonable increase in pay since their workload has increased running more newsrooms.

I don't get the fairly substantial gap between commercial and non commercial radio.  Does NPR pay really well?

Here in Canada, CBC tends to pay the average employee more than the private sector. The exception would be  morning and afternoon drive talent in major markets and in upper management, again in major and some medium markets.   Private broadcasters usually pay more for these positions.

So I don't really understand why non commercial radio in the US seems to be paying quite a bit better than private radio according to RTDNA.

Last edited by paterson1 (September 23, 2020 3:22 pm)

September 23, 2020 3:48 pm  #3

Re: Do You Believe This? Survey Says Local Radio News Salaries Up 4.5%

One sentence that jumped out at me was:

"Radio salaries - except for sports reporter - are also beating inflation over the last ten years."

I'm guessing that may be because there are fewer and fewer sports reporters working in radio. It's a vanishing breed.