sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2020 11:11 pm  #1

Lisa LaFlamme Forced To Do CTV National From Her Own Backyard

The veteran CTV anchor had an unusually green background on Tuesday night. Lisa LaFlamme began the newscast by briefly showing viewers the cameras and lights set up in her yard, explaining she's come into contact with a suspected COVID patient and out of an abundance of caution, she's keeping away from her co-workers for the foreseeable future. (Lucky for her and CTV there's no rain in the forecast.)

It's the first time during the crisis that I've seen a major national network newscast being done without a set. Although NBC's Lester Holt has not been back to his regular Nightly News set for months.

September 23, 2020 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Lisa LaFlamme Forced To Do CTV National From Her Own Backyard

Unless you don't consider CBC a MAJOR NATIONAL NETWORK, they in fact hosted the National from their Host's Back Yard, before moving to a Toronto skyline view at the start of the shut down.    Personally I think it shows they are human...

Last edited by radiokid (September 23, 2020 7:19 pm)

September 23, 2020 7:19 pm  #3

I thought it was hilarious how they intro'd her on Tuesday.

They showed a shot of the CN Tower and the Lakefront, as the announcer intoned, "CTV National News With Lisa LaFlamme. Reporting Tonight From Toronto." As if their studios aren't already here every night. Perhaps they consider CTV's Agincourt base as "neutral territory."

September 23, 2020 7:21 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I thought it was hilarious how they intro'd her on Tuesday.

They showed a shot of the CN Tower and the Lakefront, as the announcer intoned, "CTV National News With Lisa LaFlamme. Reporting Tonight From Toronto." As if their studios aren't already here every night. 

I think they like to pretend the CTV national newsroom is this island in Canada, to avoid it seeming too Toronto centric, but sadly everyone already knows! 

At least they didn't put up a green screen and try to fake she was in the newsroom...  

Last edited by radiokid (September 23, 2020 7:22 pm)

September 23, 2020 7:22 pm  #5

Nice looking backyard though!

September 23, 2020 8:16 pm  #6

I want to be invited for a BBQ...she can poll guests and ask them their opinions on the leading news stories and ask what they want on their burgers?

I mean I had a "Weenie" with Al Paladini once...why not a hot and ham with Lisa Larflamme???!!! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 24, 2020 1:13 pm  #7

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I want to be invited for a BBQ...she can poll guests and ask them their opinions on the leading news stories and ask what they want on their burgers?

I mean I had a "Weenie" with Al Paladini once...why not a hot and ham with Lisa Larflamme???!!! 

Gotta thank former CHUM-FM creative writer Larry (the “Gagman”) MacInnis for the clever Al Paladini campaign back in the day, especially the tag “any Paladini is a pal o’ mine”

September 26, 2020 11:49 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Nice looking backyard though!

Yes, looks like Lisa has a green thumb.  Lots of flowers.

I have noticed on CTV news often when the anchor is interviewing a reporter live they only have a graphic of where the reporter is (Victoria, London, Brussels etc.) but for the anchor usually nothing for their location or just CTV News. I guess this would be to de-Toronto/Ontario the newscast a bit.

CTV News Network in my opinion is guilty of having too much Toronto centric news on a national service.  Quite a few of the stories, like too many people not social distancing in a Toronto park is not national news, and shouldn't be shown all day.  Same with the two window cleaners left dangling the other day in downtown Toronto.  Go ahead and show a few times,  but not all day long, overkill and not a national story.