sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 22, 2020 7:54 pm  #2

Re: Old Joni Mitchell Tape Found

You scared me ...lol

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 23, 2020 12:36 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

You scared me ...lol

It would be a lot easier on all of us if there was a general agreement in social media to post an "RIP" or "In Memorandum" in the header, title etc. immediately after the name of a beloved pop culture figure, musician, film actor, politician etc. when they leave this planet.

The number of times Betty White and John Cleese have been trending on Twitter... my heart sank when I read Ruth Bader Ginsburg's name last week, and again when I saw Joni's name a moment ago too. (phew!)

Last edited by betaylored (September 23, 2020 12:42 pm)

September 23, 2020 1:27 pm  #4

Mystery Tape From 1963 - REACTION VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=wcVfOLt09Cg&feature=emb_logo&ab_channel=DaleBaglo

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 23, 2020 1:29 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 23, 2020 2:19 pm  #5

Jody Thornton wrote:

You scared me ...lol

Yeah, same here!   Not sure why the original poster here would use such a generic subject line. Why not "Joni Mitchell - Archival recording found" or "Joni Mitchell old tape", etc.   Also, this is "old news" - about a week and a half ago (September 14th) the story got some buzz and mention - wasn't sure if this was more material, or even before entering the thread, if it was some news on Mitchell personally. 

September 23, 2020 2:22 pm  #6

In the interest of preventing heart attacks, I've made a change to the post title. Hope all can relax now!

September 23, 2020 4:27 pm  #7

AspectRatio wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

You scared me ...lol

Yeah, same here!   Not sure why the original poster here would use such a generic subject line. Why not "Joni Mitchell - Archival recording found" or "Joni Mitchell old tape", etc.   Also, this is "old news" - about a week and a half ago (September 14th) the story got some buzz and mention - wasn't sure if this was more material, or even before entering the thread, if it was some news on Mitchell personally. 

John D posted this story on SOWNY Sept 10. At the time, I was surprised to see it got no comment.

http://sowny.net/viewtopic.php?id=5246

In late December 1963, I went to work at CHED in Edmonton. When I read John's above post, it reminded me of walking along Jasper Avenue one day (probably 1964) seeing a poster in a shop window plugging upcoming performances.
At the bottom, there was a picture with Joni's name underneath, and I wondered, "Gee, I wonder what she's all about?"
Took a few years but we found out, didn't we?

September 23, 2020 5:27 pm  #8

That Akai reel to reel tape player is a war horse. The blue in the front may indicate a dolby model. I have one of the same recorders but without Dolby. I lucked out with that recorder as I think it was new/old stock and in pristine condition. The only thing that does not work on it is the auto-stop probably due it sitting unused for 40 plus years.

The Joni tape sounds good and I believe there were eight more songs on it. I suppose digital recordings have a potential to last much longer but I did have one memory stick that was somehow corrupted.

On that You Tube link they talk about being afraid that the tape may disintegrate upon playing. What I have found is that that particular problem ( sticky shed) occurred mostly on late 70's and early 80's tapes and Ampex back coated tapes were bad. I have one of David Marsden from the 1980's which is probably good for one more play after baking  ( which I am not equipped for). Luckily I managed to digitize at least one side of the tape. Tapes from the 1960's and up to the mid 1970's do not suffer from sticky shed.

What a great find for the gentleman !

Last edited by Fitz (September 23, 2020 9:38 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/