sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2020 12:07 pm  #1

Jerry Agar Rants About Absent Guest Even As He Appears On 640

I had to laugh on Thursday morning when Jerry Agar came on with his 9:08 commentary, verbally thrashing OSSTF President Harvey Bischof for not making himself available to CFRB for a comment on an Ontario teacher who allegedly deliberately showed up with COVID symptoms, forcing her school to close.

Agar noted that the morning show producer, the newsroom and his show's people all tried to reach the teachers' union boss to no avail and accused him of being a coward and going into hiding. Meanwhile, at almost that exact same time, Kelly Cutrara on GNR640 was grilling Bischof about what happened and trying to get him to admit mistakes were made. 

I'm no fan of the union or its leadership and there's no way Agar could be aware of what was happening down the dial. But as a veteran channel changer, I couldn't help but laugh as one host excoriated his would-be guest, while another interviewed him.

By the way, Bischof later showed up on Evan Solomon's show on Bell's network, which includes NT1010.  

September 17, 2020 6:36 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Agar Rants About Absent Guest Even As He Appears On 640

I sometimes jokingly call him Harvey Piss-off, since he always seems to be mad at someone.  

September 17, 2020 8:55 pm  #3

I wish the news media would challenge the union chiefs more when they are interviewing them.  Union  spokespeople get a lot of airtime, and yes they are usually just angry but rarely challenged by interviewers. 

On the few occasions I have seen this happen with any depth, they don't like it.  Oddly enough I have seen Steve Paikin do this occasionally.  He once gave Jerry Dias a rough ride saying that unions live in the past too much, always talking about how it used to be, and seem to resist all change.  Jerry wasn't expecting this and got very defensive and somewhat flustered.

Saw Evan Solomon interviewing Andrea Horwath today about the kids going back to school. Naturally the Ford government is doing everything wrong according to her.   Evan, come on, you let her ramble and steamroller you for 10 minutes,  and you hardly asked any questions. 

When you mentioned about the teacher in Pembroke allegedly coming to school infected with COVID and not wearing a mask, the leader of the opposition just smiled.  And the teacher supposedly infected three other staff and now the school is closed. The first school to close in Ontario because of a COVID outbreak since the children came back to school.  Kind of a big thing don't you think?    Why didn't you ask Andrea to comment on this?   Poor journalism, and you let her change the topic and control the interview.

Last edited by paterson1 (September 17, 2020 8:55 pm)

September 17, 2020 8:58 pm  #4

Artist interpretation of a Jerry Agar rant: