sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2020 1:42 pm  #1

Newfoundland Radio Station Boasts 800,000 LPs In Its Record Library

Sounds like they've had a lot of time to collect those discs - they've been on the air since 1924 and are one of the country's oldest radio stations. In fact, they predate Newfoundland. joining Canada, which explains the odd VOWR call letters.

Anyway, not local but I found the story rather charming. 

St. John's radio station VOWR going strong after 96 years

(Pic courtesy The Telegram)

September 3, 2020 1:58 pm  #2

Re: Newfoundland Radio Station Boasts 800,000 LPs In Its Record Library

VOCM is another pre-confederation station down there.

September 3, 2020 3:15 pm  #3

VOCM is the big heritage station in the province. There's one other called VOAR, a mostly religious outlet that's now on FM. The VO comes from the era of pre-Confederation and I believe it's the only non 'C' call letters in the country.

I certainly hope they everything catalogued. Imagine trying to find a specific cut from an album among 800,000! The record librarian must be on steroids.

September 3, 2020 4:42 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

VOCM is the big heritage station in the province. There's one other called VOAR, a mostly religious outlet that's now on FM. The VO comes from the era of pre-Confederation and I believe it's the only non 'C' call letters in the country.

I certainly hope they everything catalogued. Imagine trying to find a specific cut from an album among 800,000! The record librarian must be on steroids.

VOCM - VOICE OF THE COMMON MAN. 

September 3, 2020 5:21 pm  #5

Wouldn't it be ironic if they have all those LPs and still play only the same 300 songs?