sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2020 11:35 am  #1

Station's Artificial Intelligence lets users “Shuffle” live songs

I'm not entirely sure how this would work, but a German radio station is trying it out. But does switching off songs you don't like to something else on the station's playlist mean you're still really listening to that station - or does it become more like an online music service? And how do you ensure a smooth join back to the live broadcast and ensuring listeners hear your commercials?

German radio station uses AI to let users “Shuffle” live songs

September 2, 2020 11:42 am  #2

Re: Station's Artificial Intelligence lets users “Shuffle” live songs

I'm not sure if this explains it or muddles it further. (This is from a translated German article, so the English may be a bit wonky.)

"Probably the most defining feature: If you don't like a song, it can be exchanged using the shuffle. According to SWR3 boss Jung, an algorithm then remembers which type of music is popular with the user. However, you cannot choose a specific song from the SWR3 music pool with more than 1300 titles - the algorithm decides what is played."

Frankly, I think I'll just wait for the next song or tune somewhere else while it's on. This sounds like more trouble than it's worth, especially considering you don't get to choose the new tune.