sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2020 11:40 am  #1

Story Behind Montreal's CHOM-FM Starts With One Man - & An Acid Trip

His name was Doug Pringle and he had an idea for a progressive rock station in his adopted home of Montreal. How he helped create the now legendary CHOM-FM in that city is a story that could only have happened in the 60s. It started when the would-be pro DJ met with eccentric owner Geoff Stirling in a hotel room in La Belle Province.

From The Montreal Gazette:

“I came in and Geoff and I hit it off immediately. I’m telling him about my idea. He’s getting excited. He says, ‘It would be great to do something with one of my radio stations, but how do I know you’re not completely full of s—? How do I know that there’s not just seven people like you in Montreal who are interested in this stuff?’ I said, ‘Trust me.’ He said, ‘OK. I’ll trust you three weeks.’ ”

Stirling gave Pringle a four-hour nightly show, from 7 to 11, repeated from 11 to 3 a.m. If it wasn’t working after three weeks, Pringle was out the door. Their conversation happened at around 2 in the afternoon. Stirling asked if Pringle could start that night.

“I said, ‘Actually, Geoff, I’m just coming down from an acid trip. Can I start tomorrow?’ ”

They don't make those kinds of execs anymore. 

Doug Pringle: The DJ who dropped the needle on CHOM

August 28, 2020 1:32 pm  #2

Re: Story Behind Montreal's CHOM-FM Starts With One Man - & An Acid Trip

I've heard that the late millionaire Geoff Stirling used to "reward" his female conquests/partners for the night with an ounce of gold.

Thoughtful and what a nice parting gift...

August 28, 2020 8:19 pm  #3

Re: Story Behind Montreal's CHOM-FM Starts With One Man - & An Acid Trip

CHOM has had the longest continuous run of any rock station in Canada, unless someone can prove otherwise. What's even more amazing is that, even though they're owned by a corporate behemoth they still are allowed to maintain a facet of that free-form style, not just playing the same 300 songs. Listeners are asked every day to contribute to their regular features and that often means playing tracks that are seldom if ever heard on terresterial radio these days. They even have a fairly stable roster of on air people who have been with the station for many years who are allowed to show some personality. They seem to understand that being relevant and local can still make radio work.