sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2020 10:03 am  #1

Bizarre Radio Billboard Inspires Major Double Take

This isn’t local, but I found it interesting enough to post here.

Imagine if you were driving down Yonge St. and saw a brand new billboard advertising, “The Best Music! 1050 CHUM!” I might just drive off the road.

So you can imagine the reaction of Los Angeles radio fans and motorists alike when they saw a huge sign proudly proclaiming, “KMET Rocks The Valley,” complete with the old font and the original call letters of a now long defunct legendary progressive rock station.

A publicity stunt? The return of an old classic? None of those. The L.A. Daily News went to investigate and discovered the answer was something that could likely only happen in Hollywood. It was the recreation of a street scene for an upcoming movie that takes place in the 1970s. And that sign would have been there then.

Talk about doing everything to ensure authenticity.

I wonder how long it will be there and if anyone else might be confused by the apparent sudden return of a legend.

KMET rocks the Valley as billboard for defunct LA rock radio station appears

((Photo courtesy L.A. Daily News)

August 23, 2020 10:09 am  #2

Re: Bizarre Radio Billboard Inspires Major Double Take

By the way, there still is a radio station with the KMET call letters. It's a talk format located near Palm Springs, California. And talk about a comedown. It's a one lung 1,000 watt outlet at 1490 - one of the worst frequencies on the AM dial.