sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2020 11:42 am  #1

Can You I.D. The Missing Jock Names In This Vintage Q-107 Photo?

FYImusicnews.ca has a photo of the Q-107 staff from sometime in 1980. They've managed to I.D. most of the people pictured, but there are a few missing and they're hoping someone can put some names to the faces. Even without all the monikers, it was quite a line-up. 

You can see it here. 

August 20, 2020 7:14 am  #2

Re: Can You I.D. The Missing Jock Names In This Vintage Q-107 Photo?

Can't help with the missing names but the photo is from 1986, or early 1987.  Bill Carroll and Kristy Knight were not at Q in 1980, or the early 80's.  I worked with them both in Owen Sound and their time at Q was yet to come. 

August 20, 2020 7:48 am  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Can't help with the missing names but the photo is from 1986, or early 1987.  Bill Carroll and Kristy Knight were not at Q in 1980, or the early 80's.  I worked with them both in Owen Sound and their time at Q was yet to come. 

Hope you have sent them the correction Peterson.

In 1980 Lee Eckley was there. I have an air check of Jim Bauer on the station in 1980 and I think Brian Master and Geets were also there for some part of 1980. There sure was a lot in interchange of DJ's between CHUM FM, CFNY and Q 107.  Reiner Schwarz and David Pritchard also worked at the big three FM rock stations as did Lee Eckley and Jim Bauer. Keith Elshaw worked at CFTR, CFNY and Q 107. There's a whole list of DJ's like Earl Jive who is in the pic that worked at two of the FM rock stations.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 20, 2020 8:32 am  #4

Fitz, just checked someone has already let them know it was not 1980 and quite a bit later.  

August 20, 2020 8:53 am  #5

I worked at CHUM-FM 1971-75 and 1979-1982.  I was also the first jock to be hired at Q-107 in '77.  Exciting creative times.

August 20, 2020 9:47 am  #6

John D wrote:

I worked at CHUM-FM 1971-75 and 1979-1982.  I was also the first jock to be hired at Q-107 in '77.  Exciting creative times.

Yes and for Rock stations in Toronto you could add CKFH which I would guess you worked at from 1967 ( or maybe late 1966) to 1971.

David Marsden of course was at CHUM FM and CFNY and then almost in Toronto at 94.9. In fact I believe I read that you may have begun your career in Oshawa.

Just remembered that Keith Elshaw did the Open Lid at FH so that makes it four rock stations in TO for him.

Last edited by Fitz (August 20, 2020 9:58 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 20, 2020 8:19 pm  #7

Yes Fitz.  I came to CKFH in September of '67; from Oshawa.  I got hired in March of '71 at CHUM-FM by Bob Laine; replacing my hero Rainer Schwarz.  In '72 I got moved to afternoons when David Marsden came in to take over my 10pm to 2am shift.  My early days and evenings at CHUM-FM were  the most creative, crazy and fun times of my career.  The interviews were indeed the highlight.  Imagine David Pritchard coming in a 2am and watching the genius at work.  Everything off the top of his head.  I still miss him.
I wish everyone could experience that kind of radio.

August 21, 2020 6:23 am  #8

John D wrote:

Yes Fitz.  I came to CKFH in September of '67; from Oshawa.  I got hired in March of '71 at CHUM-FM by Bob Laine; replacing my hero Rainer Schwarz.  In '72 I got moved to afternoons when David Marsden came in to take over my 10pm to 2am shift.  My early days and evenings at CHUM-FM were  the most creative, crazy and fun times of my career.  The interviews were indeed the highlight.  Imagine David Pritchard coming in a 2am and watching the genius at work.  Everything off the top of his head.  I still miss him.
I wish everyone could experience that kind of radio.

I began listening to CHUM FM shortly before you came to the station but by 1976/77 things on Toronto radio were mostly down until CFNY came along during the summer of 1977. The most creative station in the area at this time (1976) was WBUF FM. I made a list of various FM radio line ups that I had listened to from 1970/71 to 76 in 1976. My scrawl and spelling. I posted this a few years ago on the forum but was reminded of it when you said you moved to afternoons when David Marsden came along.

The first row is WPHD/WYSL FM Buffalo

Second WCMF Rochester

Third WBUF FM Buffalo

Fourth and Fifth CHUM FM

I know that on the American stations missed a few jocks that I clearly remember listening to such as Dinah Vaprin who I heard on WPHD and who later went to WBCN Boston.

Last edited by Fitz (August 21, 2020 6:39 am)

Cool Airchecks and More: