sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2020 11:17 am  #1

Did A Stupid Spelling Mistake Cost An NBA Play-By-Play Man His Job?

In an era where social media has ended a growing number of careers, comes yet another cautionary tale – be careful not only what but how you type.

It’s the story of John Focke (pronounced Foh-kee, and not the way you’d think at first sight) the now suspended play-by-play announcer for the Charlotte Hornets. Whether he’ll ever get the chance to call another game is in question.

What did he do? He was at home watching the Utah Jazz play the Denver Nuggets and sent out a tweet over his phone that read, “Shot making in this Jazz-Nuggets game is awesome! Murray and Mitchell going back and forth what a game!”

Seems innocent enough, except somehow the word “Nuggets” came out as the dreaded N-word. He failed to proofread it before he hit send and it went out that way to the world. Well, you can guess what happened next.

Despite quickly deleting the offending message, it was too late. The weight of moral outrage came down on Focke like a ton of Nuggets and he’s been indefinitely suspended by the team and no amount of explaining it away seems to be enough.

The question now is how it happened. He claims it was an accident, perhaps a spell check error or a typo. But he swears he never uses the word, never wrote it and never meant to. 

After reading the article linked below, I’m inclined to believe him. Why in the world would a guy with his high profile possibly do such a stupid thing on purpose? It makes no sense, would gain him nothing and could leave him where he is now – staring at unemployment and possibly never getting another media job.

There used to be a time that media personalities were considered horribly out of date if they weren’t on Twitter. But if I was a high profile media personality, there’s no way I’d go anywhere near it.

I’d be curious to see what the consensus here thinks. Does this guy deserve to lose his job? Did the team have any other choice? And do you believe him when he says it was an accident? And finally, even if you do, does that even matter?

I’ve heard an ever-increasing number of local Toronto radio personalities say they’ve given up Twitter for good, accusing it of becoming a cesspool of trolls and overly-politically correct goons just waiting to pounce. And after reading this story, I can’t say I blame them.

Hornets radio announcer tweeting N-word wasn't an autocorrect error. Here's what happened

August 20, 2020 5:29 pm  #2

Re: Did A Stupid Spelling Mistake Cost An NBA Play-By-Play Man His Job?

I meant to add this earlier but it's been all over the media and you may have heard it already. It's quite astounding.  

The TV voice of the Cincinnati Reds was forced to stop broadcasting the game he was covering on Wednesday, after what was supposed to be an off mic homophobic slur accidentally went on air. If you haven't heard Thom Brennaman's (son of longtime Reds' broadcasting legend Marty Brennaman) on-air apology - done while he's still calling the game - it's a remarkable moment, especially when a player hits a home run in the middle of it! 

He's been suspended and there's no word if he'll get his job back.

It's incredible to think another incident like this could happen in the same week. It's a reminder of the cardinal rule and the very first lesson of broadcasting - assume the mics are always live. Oh, and don't be a homophobic idiot. 

Baseball Announcer Thom Brennaman Apologizes On-Air, Abruptly Exits Game After Using Homophobic Slur 

August 21, 2020 12:29 am  #3

I nominate Trevor from the Daily show as the replacement!
He pretended to audition to be the replacement.
Very funny he announced like normal then suddenly said  "...and now there's a lion on the field...and he's...headed straight for the announcer booth....AAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Typical funny for the Daily show, but yes just serious enough to suggest he might be the next great person for the job! lol

(the "serious" part of the baseball announcing voice in him sounded very professional)

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 21, 2020 12:34 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 21, 2020 8:31 am  #4

Make it three fired in one week. And this time, it was because of a very short promo. 

Cleveland's WTAM fires anchor who referred to Kamala Harris as ‘colored’

August 21, 2020 9:28 pm  #5

There's also Mike Milbury who said last night on NBC Sports Network that there aren't any women inside the bubbles of the two NHL arenas because they would distract the players. NBC Sports suspended him and the league issued a statement condemning it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2020/08/21/mike-milbury-nbc-sports-not-working-friday-broadcast-remark/3413908001/

Last edited by Prod Guy (August 21, 2020 9:42 pm)

August 21, 2020 10:03 pm  #6

milbury was the NBC version of don cherry.  it was only a matter of time.

August 24, 2020 10:41 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

There's also Mike Milbury who said last night on NBC Sports Network that there aren't any women inside the bubbles of the two NHL arenas because they would distract the players. NBC Sports suspended him and the league issued a statement condemning it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2020/08/21/mike-milbury-nbc-sports-not-working-friday-broadcast-remark/3413908001/

Game misconduct and now gone for the rest of the season.

Milbury Steps Away From Broadcasting Rest Of NHL Playoffs

September 3, 2020 6:07 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

In an era where social media has ended a growing number of careers, comes yet another cautionary tale – be careful not only what but how you type.

It’s the story of John Focke (pronounced Foh-kee, and not the way you’d think at first sight) the now suspended play-by-play announcer for the Charlotte Hornets. Whether he’ll ever get the chance to call another game is in question.

What did he do? He was at home watching the Utah Jazz play the Denver Nuggets and sent out a tweet over his phone that read, “Shot making in this Jazz-Nuggets game is awesome! Murray and Mitchell going back and forth what a game!”

Seems innocent enough, except somehow the word “Nuggets” came out as the dreaded N-word. He failed to proofread it before he hit send and it went out that way to the world. Well, you can guess what happened next.

Despite quickly deleting the offending message, it was too late. The weight of moral outrage came down on Focke like a ton of Nuggets and he’s been indefinitely suspended by the team and no amount of explaining it away seems to be enough.

The question now is how it happened. He claims it was an accident, perhaps a spell check error or a typo. But he swears he never uses the word, never wrote it and never meant to. 

After reading the article linked below, I’m inclined to believe him. Why in the world would a guy with his high profile possibly do such a stupid thing on purpose? It makes no sense, would gain him nothing and could leave him where he is now – staring at unemployment and possibly never getting another media job.

There used to be a time that media personalities were considered horribly out of date if they weren’t on Twitter. But if I was a high profile media personality, there’s no way I’d go anywhere near it.

I’d be curious to see what the consensus here thinks. Does this guy deserve to lose his job? Did the team have any other choice? And do you believe him when he says it was an accident? And finally, even if you do, does that even matter?

I’ve heard an ever-increasing number of local Toronto radio personalities say they’ve given up Twitter for good, accusing it of becoming a cesspool of trolls and overly-politically correct goons just waiting to pounce. And after reading this story, I can’t say I blame them.

Hornets radio announcer tweeting N-word wasn't an autocorrect error. Here's what happened

The Hornets announced today that he is no longer employed by the team.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/hornets-fire-announcer-john-focke-after-mistyped-n-word-tweet/