sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2020 10:35 am  #1

Radio At 100: Was This The First Record Ever Played Over The Air?

It’s the oldest broadcast argument of the past century: who claims to be the very first real radio station? According to an article in the Detroit Free Press, it’s WWJ – and the paper claims tomorrow, August 20th, marks exactly 100 years since radio as we know it began.

The station had its first broadcast in Motown on Aug. 20, 1920 when it was known as “8MK.” Only a handful of people may have been able to actually hear that historic first night, which boasted a primitive set-up of a turntable with a sound amplifying horn, a microphone and a whole lot of wiring.

So what was the very first record ever played on the medium? According to the Free Press story, “[Howard] Trumbo dropped a needle on a phonograph record. Plant held a gramophone horn to capture the sound. The first music heard by those 50 or so listeners…[was] “Roses of Picardy,” a song made popular during World War I."

(Maybe Roger Ashby will play it on his oldies show in commemoration of the event!)

Speaking of Ashby, the paper claims the first person who ever uttered words on the air as an official announcer was a guy with the unlikely name of Elton Plant. Who was he? A 19-year-old Detroit News office boy, who signed on the station with the words, “8MK calling.”

The article outlines how the pioneering station expanded to do political coverage, remotes and even the first sports play-by-play. all with no commercials, because potential sponsors had no idea what to make of this newfangled thing. 

Of course, KDKA Pittsburgh disputes all this. The old Westinghouse outlet has long insisted it was the first in November 1920. (And Canadians claim Marconi's XWA, later CFCF, began it all in 1919.)  But if the Free Press is correct, what would become WWJ beat KDKA by some four months.

In any event, the 100th anniversary of radio is finally here. It’s just a shame about the state this centenarian is currently in.

The story, which is really interesting, is a behind a paywall. But I think the link below will take you to the genuine article. It’s well worth a look, if only for the accompanying pictures. In the meantime, I’m going to YouTube to listen to “Roses of Picardy.” And yes, it IS there. But I don't think I'll be requesting it anytime soon. 

Iconic WWJ radio started as Detroit experiment: Celebrating 100 years of on-air broadcasts

August 19, 2020 10:43 am  #2

Re: Radio At 100: Was This The First Record Ever Played Over The Air?

Shouldn't XWA/CFCF get the crown?

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2015/12/01/history-december-1-1919-the-first-official-radio-station/

Or how about Charles Herrold?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Herrold

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 19, 2020 10:46 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 19, 2020 11:10 am  #3

Unless you have a time machine (and a tape recorder!) I don't think there's any reasonable way to solve this question. Especially when it involves defining what constitutes an actual official radio station. But while CFCF is long gone from the airwaves, Canadians will always claim XWA in Montreal was the first. And I suspect the mystery will continue for another hundred years...

August 19, 2020 11:41 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

According to the Free Press story, “[Howard] Trumbo dropped a needle on a phonograph record. Plant held a gramophone horn to capture the sound. The first music heard by those 50 or so listeners…[was] “Roses of Picardy,” a song made popular during World War I."

(Maybe Roger Ashby will play it on his oldies show in commemoration of the event!)

Bobby Darin or Buddy Greco versions might be cool.

August 19, 2020 8:53 pm  #5

The Detroit News also has a story on the anniversary. It contains some intriguing passages. For example, this item on what happened when WWJ first went all-news.

"From across the river at CKLW, newscaster Joe Donovan was watching.

"WWJ was switching from a kind of nothing special, dog’s breakfast format," he said, "into a real, dedicated all-news station. I was fascinated by that, and luckily, the station recruited me."

Donovan was the first of a wave of Windsor migrants that included Byron MacGregor, Grant Hudson and Don Patrick, who brought some of CKLW's "20/20 News" personality with them — what auto reporter Gilbert summarized as "the big voice and the rapid-fire style..."

"And if you know the old CKLW, their newscasters practically jumped out of the radio at you."

Then there's the seemingly never-ending controversy about who really came first. 

"KDKA got its federal license a few months before WWJ in 1921, and that's its line in the sand. But 8MK, as WWJ was known in 1920, was on the air with an amateur license well before Pittsburgh."

"For its part, KCBS (San Francisco) was on the air occasionally for years before 8MK, but got its federal license after both of the other stations.

"Donovan dismisses KCBS before 1920 as just a "ham-radio" operation."

I guess we will never really know. If this kind of radio minutiae interests you, WWJ is airing a special at 7 PM Thursday, called, "WWJ at 100, a Century of News." Most of the usual radio sites geoblock the signal, but if you have a VPN, you can hear it.

Detroit News: 
WWJ radio celebrates 100 years since launch as nation's first commercial broadcaster

August 20, 2020 7:46 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Unless you have a time machine (and a tape recorder!) I don't think there's any reasonable way to solve this question. Especially when it involves defining what constitutes an actual official radio station. But while CFCF is long gone from the airwaves, Canadians will always claim XWA in Montreal was the first. And I suspect the mystery will continue for another hundred years...

Actually there is no argument between XWA/CFCF and 8MK/WWJ.  CFCF pre dated WWJ by 3 months on May 20th.  No need of a time machine or tape recorder since it was reported in the Ottawa and Montreal newspapers, with comments by people who listened to the broadcast.  That is all the proof needed.  And the fact that it was a two city broadcast between Montreal and Ottawa was interesting as well.

Now WWJ claiming to be the first to play an actual record is fine and could be true.  But first radio station?  Nope.

As Dale Patterson's link shows, the first broadcast and radio station probably was from Charles "Doc" Herrold who was way ahead of everyone with first regular broadcasts in 1912.  Charles had a station out of San Jose California 6XF which was licensed in 1915.  XWA/CFCF didn't get a license until 1919.

So if we ever celebrate Radio Day in Canada, or make it official, it should be in the spring on May 20th.  But I am sure we will take the lazy way out and just have it on August 20th.

Regardless, Happy Radio Day Everyone...