sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2020 7:38 pm  #1

IT'S THE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY OF CONFEDERATION . . . EVERYBODY SING

Bobby Gimby wrote Ca-na-da @ approx this time of year in '66.    The Young Canada Singers recorded it and took it to no. 4 on CHUM the following spring.     Anyone know if the Young Canada Singers stayed together or if they disbanded and if so, did any members gravitate to broadcasting or musical careers?   

August 6, 2020 7:55 pm  #2

Re: IT'S THE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY OF CONFEDERATION . . . EVERYBODY SING

Showing my age,  but I remember this as a 9 year old;  along with Ontario's "A Place To Stand".

Expo 67 and a time when anything and everything was possible.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 6, 2020 7:58 pm)

August 7, 2020 8:00 am  #3

It peaked @ no. 4 on CHUM, behind the Beatles, Herman's Hermits & the Turtles.   Quite an accomplishment considering the strong, established competition & the fact that Cancon didn't kick in 'til four yrs later 

K.K.

August 7, 2020 8:59 am  #4

Kosmos Kagool wrote:

Bobby Gimby wrote Ca-na-da @ approx this time of year in '66.    The Young Canada Singers recorded it and took it to no. 4 on CHUM the following spring.     Anyone know if the Young Canada Singers stayed together or if they disbanded and if so, did any members gravitate to broadcasting or musical careers?   

Many years ago, a friend of mine told me that her sister had been part of a group of kids who sang with Gimby, but this was several years after 1967 (she would have been too young then to be involved). I did a search and found that there is a website about him at http://www.bobbygimby.com/ ... although it doesn't say much about his post-1967 performances with children, it does end with "he continued to perform with children across the country, whenever he could."

August 7, 2020 9:41 am  #5

Interesting historical photos there, including the one of children marching up Bay St. (one visible minority as near as I can see), also the shot of Judy LaMarsh presenting Gimby with an award, probably post-1967 as Judy had her hands full in Centennial year

August 7, 2020 9:52 am  #6

I have a picture from newspaper of Bobby with a bunch of children including my daughter on Canada Day 1969 in Mississauga.

I don't know how to add picture to post or I would have included it.

August 7, 2020 10:05 am  #7

I remember this tune very well. And I also recall how it charted on CHUM. In its Top 67 of 1967, it wasn't exactly included in the list. Instead it earned the designation of something called "The Super Hit Award" - which I'm guessing was a way to avoid actually having to put this anomaly somewhere in the middle of the countdown.

It's been a very long time since I've heard it.

August 7, 2020 10:18 am  #8

Interesting times, then (Lyndon Johnson didn't care for Mike Pearson) and now (Donald Trump doesn't care for Justin Trudeau).    The more things change . . . 

August 7, 2020 10:26 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I remember this tune very well. And I also recall how it charted on CHUM. In its Top 67 of 1967, it wasn't exactly included in the list. Instead it earned the designation of something called "The Super Hit Award" - which I'm guessing was a way to avoid actually having to put this anomaly somewhere in the middle of the countdown.

I was too young to be aware of that at the time, but when I saw it via the internet I thought it was rather contrived. Ron Hall's CHUM Chart book includes his own calculations as to how songs would have ranked ... he uses peak position plus the number of weeks that the song spent at the peak position. His rankings are different from CHUM's, but for what it's worth he ranks Canada as being #79 for 1967. Given this, and the fact that CHUM wanted to include it in some way, I think it would have been better to give it the #67 position ... it wouldn't have been out of place there, and it would have fit well with the nature of the song and the year. 

August 7, 2020 10:40 am  #10

It was the only time CHUM did something like that in all its "best of" charts, and indeed, it would have had to have been something as special and unusual as a celebration of the centennial. If you think about, this isn't really the type of song they normally would have played in that era. So I guess this was the only way to include it. 

August 7, 2020 11:47 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

this isn't really the type of song they normally would have played in that era   

Counterpoints:

- CHUM had launched FM broadcasts in 1963; it played rock 'n roll, particularly over-nite, while the AM outlet stayed more of a pop station, to the best of my recollection

- AM 1050 charted not 1, not 2 but 3 versions of the Children's Marching Song in 1959 including one by that jolly old rocker Mitch Miller

- too bad Bob Laine is no longer with us; he frequently provided insight when topics like this arose (when he wasn't in Florida)

K.K.

August 7, 2020 12:31 pm  #12

Kosmos Kagool wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

this isn't really the type of song they normally would have played in that era   

Counterpoints:

- CHUM had launched FM broadcasts in 1963; it played rock 'n roll, particularly over-nite, while the AM outlet stayed more of a pop station, to the best of my recollection

- AM 1050 charted not 1, not 2 but 3 versions of the Children's Marching Song in 1959 including one by that jolly old rocker Mitch Miller

- too bad Bob Laine is no longer with us; he frequently provided insight when topics like this arose (when he wasn't in Florida)

K.K.

CHUM-FM was a classical/fine arts station from its launch in September 1963 to July 1968, when they switched to progressive rock.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 7, 2020 9:37 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 7, 2020 12:53 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

It was the only time CHUM did something like that in all its "best of" charts, and indeed, it would have had to have been something as special and unusual as a celebration of the centennial. If you think about, this isn't really the type of song they normally would have played in that era. So I guess this was the only way to include it. 

I'm not so aware of what their year-end countdowns were like in the 1960s, but in the 1970s I remember that sometimes on these countdowns I'd hear them playing something that I hadn't heard them play since it had been a hit. That was sometimes because it was a novelty, but there were also times that it was because it was something that didn't really fit their format -- but that had been so big when it was a hit that they played it anyway. Considering that Canada reached #4 and charted for 11 weeks, I don't think it should have been that problematic for them to play it during the year-end countdown. However, the way they handled it would certainly go with your idea that they didn't want to do so.

August 7, 2020 3:03 pm  #14

Interesting that on the CHUM 1967 year end chart. She Hangs Out by the Monkees received full billing along with the flip A Little Bit Me. In the USA Mike Nesmith's The Girl I Once Knew Somewhere was the flip and made it to number 39, not as quite as high as the A side. She Hangs Out was not released as a single in the US and "Somewhere" is the better song.

She Hangs Out is barely remembered now ( even in Canada) but the flip of Penny Lane certainly is and that song Strawberry Fields is not on the top 67 of 67. They also missed the flip of Ruby Tuesday (perhaps upset that the Stones were asked to perform it as Lets Spend Some Time Together on Sullivan) but Lulu's The Boat That I Row is there along with the A side at number 5.

Last edited by Fitz (August 7, 2020 3:06 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 7, 2020 3:57 pm  #15

Fitz wrote:

Interesting that on the CHUM 1967 year end chart. She Hangs Out by the Monkees received full billing along with the flip A Little Bit Me. In the USA Mike Nesmith's The Girl I Once Knew Somewhere was the flip and made it to number 39, not as quite as high as the A side. She Hangs Out was not released as a single in the US and "Somewhere" is the better song.

She Hangs Out is barely remembered now ( even in Canada) but the flip of Penny Lane certainly is and that song Strawberry Fields is not on the top 67 of 67. They also missed the flip of Ruby Tuesday (perhaps upset that the Stones were asked to perform it as Lets Spend Some Time Together on Sullivan) but Lulu's The Boat That I Row is there along with the A side at number 5.

I checked my CHUM Chart Book re those last two situations. It shows Strawberry Fields as having charted for 11 weeks (vs. 13 for Penny Lane), so yes, it should definitely have been included. But I had wondered if Let's Spend The Night might not have charted, perhaps due to its subject matter, and it isn't listed in the book at all. 

August 7, 2020 8:02 pm  #16

Lorne wrote:

Fitz wrote:

I checked my CHUM Chart Book re those last two situations. It shows Strawberry Fields as having charted for 11 weeks (vs. 13 for Penny Lane), so yes, it should definitely have been included. But I had wondered if Let's Spend The Night might not have charted, perhaps due to its subject matter, and it isn't listed in the book at all. 

I don't have the CHUM Chart book but I do have almost all of the charts from that era and I see that Lets Spend The Night did not chart but She hangs Out was only on the chart for two weeks I think. The single was a fast riser but by the third week, the B side had dropped off. 1967 was the year of Monkeemaina and if memory serves me correctly they might have outsold the Beatles that year despite Sgt Pepper. No Milk Today by Herman's Hermits was a better song IMHO than the A side Kind of Hush and it remained on the chart but did not make the top 67.

Last edited by Fitz (August 7, 2020 8:04 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 7, 2020 8:26 pm  #17

"Let's Spend the Night Together" did not receive airplay when it originally came out. The subject matter was deemed inappropriate. Times did change though eventually.

August 7, 2020 8:46 pm  #18

Fitz wrote:

I don't have the CHUM Chart book but I do have almost all of the charts from that era and I see that Lets Spend The Night did not chart but She hangs Out was only on the chart for two weeks I think. The single was a fast riser but by the third week, the B side had dropped off. 1967 was the year of Monkeemaina and if memory serves me correctly they might have outsold the Beatles that year despite Sgt Pepper. No Milk Today by Herman's Hermits was a better song IMHO than the A side Kind of Hush and it remained on the chart but did not make the top 67.

Yes, the book shows that She Hangs Out was only included on the chart for two weeks. It definitely didn't belong in the Top 67, but you may have hit upon the rationale. Really bizarre, though. 

August 7, 2020 9:06 pm  #19

Does anyone remember the other version the  Canada centennial song?  Roger Ashby played it on his oldies show on the July 1st weekend, even though he made reference to the Young Canada Singers, that was not the version that he played.   The group really sounded similar to the Mamas and the Papas and was very well done. A real "summer of love" vibe to it.   CHUM played this alternative version too but it was Gimby and the kids that got the recognition and the most airplay. Wish I could remember the name of the group.

August 7, 2020 9:11 pm  #20

I did not find anything about the other version on the song Wiki Page but I think it was the Sugar Shoppe.

Last edited by Fitz (August 7, 2020 9:12 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 7, 2020 9:31 pm  #21

The Sugar Shoppe's version spent 7 weeks on the CHUM Chart and peaked at #20.

August 7, 2020 9:42 pm  #22

Storm wrote:

"Let's Spend the Night Together" did not receive airplay when it originally came out. The subject matter was deemed inappropriate. Times did change though eventually.

The song actually did chart for 8 weeks on Billboard and reached a peak position of # 55. but Ruby Tuesday was # 1. One of a number of fine double sided singles by the Stones that came in a picture sleeve. I still have my copy and it looks like the presumed B-side got top billing:

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 7, 2020 9:45 pm  #23

Fitz and Lorne, The Sugar Shoppe, that's the one! Thank you.   I remember hearing that version on the radio  and actually thought it was the better take on the song.  CHUM, CJOY in Guelph and other stations played the Sugar Shoppe version quite a bit back in that very special and memorable year!

August 7, 2020 9:52 pm  #24

Lorne wrote:

The Sugar Shoppe's version spent 7 weeks on the CHUM Chart and peaked at #20.

another old chart phenomena. Two versions of the same song charting at the same time and a few entered the chart at the same position.

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 7, 2020 9:58 pm  #25

And famously, Ed Sullivan made the group change the lyrics to Let's Spend Some Time Together when it was performed live on the Ed Sullivan Show.   Ed and CBS wouldn't let the Stones perform the song on TV with the original lyric Let's Spend The Night Together.

August 8, 2020 8:28 am  #26

Slightly off track with this thread, but there's an article on pg. A 20 of today's print edition Globe & Mail about creem magazine, and compares it to Rolling Stone " . . . a publication that in 1971 swore James Taylor was the Next Big Thing."     

A good read, IMHO

K.K.

Last edited by Kosmos Kagool (August 8, 2020 10:43 am)

August 8, 2020 8:48 am  #27

Creem was my very favorite rock mag. They were champions of garage rock, early punk and had an irreverent R&R attitude that could not be beat. Glad that I hung on to my issues of the mag. A brief sample of some covers below:

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 8, 2020 6:43 pm  #28

Here's the Globe story about Creem mentioned by KK. I think I was about 16 when I subscribed to the mag as well as another one called Fusion. The postal delivery was often late and I ended up buying some issues and sometimes ended up with duplicate copies.

They were operating out of Walled Lake, Michigan and one time I got the contact info from the mag and rang up and spoke to the famous or infamous Lester Bangs. OK nothing to do with Canada except that Alan Neister who wrote for the Globe for years also penned some reviews in Creem and I think several other rock mags.

Last edited by Fitz (August 8, 2020 6:43 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

August 9, 2020 9:54 am  #29

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else . . . "

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous