sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2020 3:33 pm  #1

New Syndicated Morning Show for Edmonton's CHUCK

Corus Radio has announced that Willy in the Morning, the Rock 101 (CFMI-FM) Vancouver-based morning show that expanded to Q107 (CILQ-FM) Calgary last year, will also be heard on Edmonton’s CHUCK @ 92.5 (CKNG-FM), starting later this month.“The Willy in the Morning team is known for their sharp-wit, sense of humour and great energy,” said Ronnie Stanton, Regional Program Director, Western Canada, in a release. “We can’t wait to introduce the show to CHUCK listeners on August 24.” CHUCK @ 92.5 has been without a morning show since earlier this year when the station dropped syndicated Seattle morning show, Brooke & Jubal (now Brooke & Jeffrey).The Willy in the Morning team, helmed by Willy Percy, Kim Seale and Alece Anderson, will air on CHUCK @ 92.5 from 6 – 9 a.m. weekday mornings. Together for the last seven years, the highly-rated show helped lead Rock 101 to a 14.3% share with women 25-54 in the Spring 2020 PPM ratings. The station posted an overall 8.1 share, 12+, while Q107 garnered just 4.4% market share. CHUCK @ 92.5 finished the last ratings period with a 3.9 share, 12+.     Story courtesy Broadcast Dialogue.

Last edited by paterson1 (August 4, 2020 3:35 pm)

August 4, 2020 7:27 pm  #2

Re: New Syndicated Morning Show for Edmonton's CHUCK

Good. Get rid of Derringer here. Toss that show on. Who cares if rating drop a notch, it's still a lot cheaper to run.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 5, 2020 12:51 pm  #3

I know the show isn't what it used to be, but Derringer's on track to be #2 in the current book, and they spent a bunch on marketing it in the spring. Not going anywhere.

August 5, 2020 5:18 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

I know the show isn't what it used to be, but Derringer's on track to be #2 in the current book, and they spent a bunch on marketing it in the spring. Not going anywhere.

And Q certainly had a good book last rating. Now last time was not typical with all of the changes in the marketplace with the pandemic, but Q107 seems to have found itself over the past while. It will be interesting to see if everything holds for the September book. Sounds like weekday mornings are pretty solid. All those TV spots must be helpful.

August 5, 2020 7:11 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

Good. Get rid of Derringer here. Toss that show on. Who cares if rating drop a notch, it's still a lot cheaper to run.

What's your problem here? I enjoy it. 

August 5, 2020 7:12 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

And Q certainly had a good book last rating. Now last time was not typical with all of the changes in the marketplace with the pandemic, but Q107 seems to have found itself over the past while. It will be interesting to see if everything holds for the September book. Sounds like weekday mornings are pretty solid. All those TV spots must be helpful.

I find it 100% relatable. 

August 5, 2020 11:04 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

IAll those TV spots must be helpful.

And they can do those for essentially "free." But they spent actual money on a good sized outdoor campaign. 

August 5, 2020 11:17 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Now last time was not typical with all of the changes in the marketplace with the pandemic, but Q107 seems to have found itself over the past while. It will be interesting to see if everything holds for the September book.

I think it will. What we're seeing is stations with a blue-collar audience (Q107, Boom) surging, as their audiences are more-or-less back to work. The government and bank employees are listening to/hearing a lot less CHUM-FM than they used to. If the trends hold, Q107 and Boom will be #1 and #2 in the summer book. 

August 13, 2020 4:12 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

CHUCK @ 92.5 has been without a morning show since earlier this year when the station dropped syndicated Seattle morning show, Brooke & Jubal (now Brooke & Jeffrey).

Interesting. One station's discard is now another station's new morning show.

Virgin Radio Edmonton to air syndicated ‘Brooke & Jeffrey’ in mornings

This means that two stations in Edmonton - one from Corus, the other from Bell - have their all important AM drive shows coming from somewhere else - in this case, south of the border. This is a bit of a worrisome development, as station groups try to save money on expensive morning talent. I hope it doesn't become a trend in this country, but after the COVID disaster and with management constantly trying to do as much as possible on the cheap, I can't help but wonder if it will.

August 13, 2020 7:28 pm  #10

If it becomes a trend it will likely be a small one.  Two Edmonton stations have their drive program from the US? The new Corus show on CHUCK is out of Vancouver's Rock 101 and mornings not drive.  It is a Canadian syndicated show. In fairness Brooke and Jeffrey are better suited on a Virgin station but their track record so far north of the border is not good.

Anyway, to me any major market station that brings in a syndicated US morning show  has thrown in the towel.  It tells me that they have no ideas, no creativity, have given up ever being number one and are doing it to save some money.   And I am sure with the reduced ad rates and weak ratings the savings have been minimal.

Other than JUMP in Ottawa Brooke and Jeffery (Jubal) haven't even lasted a year in other markets.  JUMP gets hammered by Hot 89.9 and the city has a few other stations, french and english with similar formats.

August 13, 2020 7:57 pm  #11

You are correct about the Willy show. I was thinking about a similar sounding syndicated morning show out of Phoenix. Still, the fact it's Canadian does not necessarily mitigate my concern. It airs in Calgary and Edmonton but comes from Vancouver. O.K. that's fine most days.

But what happens when there's a huge blizzard in Edmonton some morning and you want your hosts to give info on school closings or highway accidents? What about a scandal at City Hall? Or COVID breaking out in a school? Who's going to give you the latest on that huge story that breaks in the morning and requires immediate handling and explanation? One guy in the newsroom? Not enough. 

Love it or hate it, the one thing you can say about CFRB is that when something happens in the waking hours, they move on it, finding guests and updates. Is the guy sitting in a studio in Vancouver going to know or care about what's going on in Edmonton or Okotoks? 

And then there's the U.S. syndie guys. While I'm guessing it's a typical morning zoo type show that's mostly entertainment, they will inevitably have to touch on Trump, the U.S coronavirus count and the American vote at some point. Yep, that's what Edmonton needs to hear first thing in the AM. And if, say, Bill Morneau is forced to quit as Finance Minister or a snap election is called here? You won't hear a word about it from this Virgin Radio station. 

I stand by my original point - it's cheap. But it's not better. And it's not serving the area they were licenced for. But I guess that doesn't matter to the bean counters at Bell. I hope the audience sends them a message that Seattle isn't part of Alberta and votes to separate from Virgin. 

August 13, 2020 8:04 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

JUMP gets hammered by Hot 89.9

Is there a difference between being hammered by Hot 89.9 or sitting pretty as the Bear they once were? 
Aren't they still better off?  

August 13, 2020 8:12 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

I stand by my original point - it's cheap. But it's not better. And it's not serving the area they were licenced for. But I guess that doesn't matter to the bean counters at Bell. I hope the audience sends them a message that Seattle isn't part of Alberta and votes to separate from Virgin. 

Actually, how do you know for a fact that it's being done to do things cheaper? How do you know it's not for the purpose to spend bigger bucks in another market...maybe stealing a morning show from a competing station down the dial? 

I don't have any examples of that happening, but one does have to wonder if Bell is actually spending MORE money on Adam Wild TJ & JAX than they did with the previous morning show (now @ 95.3...and how much do they cost?) 

Long story short, the other benefit is that it builds a save up for a morning show that starts out as very expensive to run, but hopefully also pays off later on with greater ratings than what a station had before.  

*added note: I was not intending to suggest that Corus might want to steal Hot 89.9's morning show. It is a good example though. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 13, 2020 8:14 pm)

August 13, 2020 8:23 pm  #14

Don't disagree with anything you said RA.  Local is always better and a big town and major market like Edmonton should always have a local morning show.  Same with Toronto and Flow running The Breakfast Club out of NY.  Like I said before, all it means is they have given up, trying to save money and have no ideas, at least for now.

Remember how Flow delayed the debut of the Breakfast Club because they originally were going to run the show just as COVID was really taking hold?  Flow as a radio station and the new morning show would have been DOA had they run the show back in late Feb and March. Hosts 800 miles away are not going to talk about anything local especially in an emergency.  

The accountants will say that you can get all that information from 15 other stations but they don't seem to realize that is not the point.  Most people are actually loyal to their local station(s) and shouldn't need to flip around the dial just to get basic information.  Radio is still a service, especially during a health crisis.

I don't think there is much threat yet from US syndicated shows since so far they haven't made an easy transition or had any success across the border.  And let's face it in the GTA almost all radio over the air listening is local with only about 5% out of market and this would include areas like Hamilton, Brantford, K/W, Guelph, Barrie, Buffalo, St. Catherines etc.   So local rules!

August 13, 2020 8:23 pm  #15

I'm pretty sure if you examine the economics of this, you'll see it's always cheaper to buy a syndicated show than stage your own. Consider - a typical morning show is at least two people (often three) with that many salaries. And if they're on in the AM shift, they get paid more. Then there's the producer, since most of the big morning shows aren't self-op anymore. So there's another salary, plus whatever benefits that accrues. 

There's also vacation pay, plus hiring substitutes when everyone's off, pensions, sick leave, etc. etc. etc. There's simply no way that whatever Bell's paying for the non-local program is costing them as much or more than doing it themselves. 

My problem isn't the money, though - it's what lost by having someone hundreds of kilometres away being totally out of touch with what's happening in your city - where it isn't and never will be a priority. If Howard Stern didn't work on this side of the border, I can't see how these shows will fare any better.

But hey, if it finds an audience, good for them. My prediction is that in the end, it won't. 

Paterson1 and I are on the same side of this (for once!) Local works better but especially in the mornings, when the weather, traffic and current news is in the forefront and it's vital if you want people to listen. 

August 13, 2020 8:49 pm  #16

RA yoiu're totally right from a beancounter view.  Indeed, a syndicated morning show does make fiscal sense.  but my question has to be, why buy american?  surely there is homegrown talent that can do the same job for an equally reasonable price.

August 14, 2020 6:18 am  #17

In general, I prefer local to syndicated, especially in mornings. It has to be quality local though.