sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2020 8:42 am  #1

Local Radio News Veteran Scott Metcalfe Calling It A Career

If you don’t know Scott Metcalfe personally, you might have heard the name more than once. He’s been around Toronto radio for decades. But not for much longer, after the veteran News Director at 680 News announced his retirement this week.

Metcalfe worked at The Fan and CFTR among others, and has been a literal workhorse at all those places. I’ve met him over the years and he always came across as a real pro and a nice guy.

His impact was such that Dave Trafford, a direct competitor at CFRB, paid tribute to him on 1010 Friday morning to wish him well.

A long time ago, when Metcalfe was at CJCL (then owned by Telemedia and still at 1430) he worked in the newsroom. One of the on-air personalities at the station was the late, great Earl McRae, who was not only a writer and broadcaster but a terrific caricaturist. He drew the pic of Metcalfe (circa 1983) below, which I found in my collection.

But Metcalfe, who's just shy of half a century in the broadcasting business, isn’t gone yet – he’s staying on until a replacement is named sometime next year.

Rogers news veteran Scott Metcalfe announces retirement