sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2020 9:02 pm  #1

Five Iconic Broadcast Calls in Hockey History

With the Leafs finally back in action and the rest of the NHL hitting the bubble, this is pretty timely - a list of the five greatest calls in hockey history, as chosen by the Hockey Writers website. 

I admit I'm not a huge shinny fan, but I love all things radio & TV - and a great call of a great moment in sports can live with you for most of your life, especially if you were present when it happened. (Different sport, but who can forget the joyous "Touch em all Joe!" from Tom Cheek?)

Perhaps what's most interesting about the list is that only one of them actually came from an NHL game. But there's no doubt all of them on display are historic. 

5 Iconic Calls in Hockey History

July 28, 2020 9:54 pm  #2

Re: Five Iconic Broadcast Calls in Hockey History

the brett hull goal against buffalo.  the missed gretzky penalty on gilmour.  cherry's argument with brian williams about the 87 world juniors brawl.

Not a bad list in general.

anyone watching the first game tonight leafs/habs?

July 28, 2020 11:32 pm  #3

Re: Five Iconic Broadcast Calls in Hockey History

The black and white photo used in the article to illustrate the Paul Henderson "Goal of the Century" is not correct.

The photo is from either game 6 or 7 of the 1972 series in which Henderson also scored the winning goals in each but is not his game 8 winner as is shown.

Last edited by unclefester (July 29, 2020 7:22 am)