sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2020 9:04 pm  #1

Ashby Oldies Show Sampler from CHUM?

I was on Bell's Orbyt Media site looking at all the syndicated services they offer.  Under oldies they have The Roger Ashby Oldies Show and American Top 40 with Casey Kasem.  Both links have a sample of the program for any station that might be interested in picking up the program and not familiar with how they sound .

However the 2:07 sampler for the Roger Ashby Oldies Show is probably 25 years old.  The sample cut offered was when it was originally on 1050 CHUM as the Sunday Morning Oldies Show.  Huh?  This makes no sense, why would they not run a sample cut from the current program?   They aren't selling the old CHUM program. Anyone know why they would do this?
https://www.orbytmedia.com/roger-ashby/

July 23, 2020 5:12 am  #2

Re: Ashby Oldies Show Sampler from CHUM?

paterson1 wrote:

I was on Bell's Orbyt Media site looking at all the syndicated services they offer.  Under oldies they have The Roger Ashby Oldies Show and American Top 40 with Casey Kasem.  Both links have a sample of the program for any station that might be interested in picking up the program and not familiar with how they sound .

However the 2:07 sampler for the Roger Ashby Oldies Show is probably 25 years old.  The sample cut offered was when it was originally on 1050 CHUM as the Sunday Morning Oldies Show.  Huh?  This makes no sense, why would they not run a sample cut from the current program?   They aren't selling the old CHUM program. Anyone know why they would do this?

That is a good question, and yes it makes zero sense.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 23, 2020 1:25 pm  #3

Most likely that demo for The Roger Ashby Oldies Show on the Orbyt Media site was put together BEFORE Roger had recorded the new national version, so they used segments of his 1050 CHUM Sunday Morning Oldies Show  Orbyt Media just hasn't upgraded or changed it.  

July 23, 2020 4:24 pm  #4

I notice on that site linked to above they allow you to download the clock for the show. It confirms that the program segments are fairly generous, without a lot of commercial interruptions. That's one of the things I like about the program - they're not always throwing to 25 spots every 3 minutes.

July 23, 2020 9:14 pm  #5

Doug Thompson wrote:

Most likely that demo for The Roger Ashby Oldies Show on the Orbyt Media site was put together BEFORE Roger had recorded the new national version, so they used segments of his 1050 CHUM Sunday Morning Oldies Show  Orbyt Media just hasn't upgraded or changed it.  

Well, the program has been on for about 5 months now, so hopefully someone at Orbyt will update the sampler.  I am assuming that they are interested in selling to more stations.  The Ashby program certainly deserves a current promo for the new show. The 2020 program has some great features that the original offering on CHUM didn't have, and in some ways it's an even better series in my humble opinion.

July 23, 2020 9:46 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Well now, isn't that interesting. I just rechecked your link and it's been replaced with one to the endless loop replay of the Ashby show as it stands now. Looks like someone over there is reading SOWNY!

July 24, 2020 9:45 am  #7

Nice to see that somebody at Orbyt Media looks at the SOWNY postings and took down the old sampler.  I guess linking to the shows app  is okay. Let's hope they put up a new promo for the program, if they are serious about running the show on more stations.  I don't think anyone in Western Canada runs it yet.