sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2020 2:23 pm  #1

What Happens On Sports Radio When All The Games Are On At Once?

I'm not sure there's ever been a time when the seasons of the NBA, NHL and MLB have ever overlapped quite this much. They're all about to start their seasons late because of the coronavirus and who knows if they'll even get the chance to finish them. 

But it also means at least some of the broadcast schedules for those games will inevitably overlap, as they try to get them all in on a shortened (or elongated depending on your point of view) season. It won't be an issue for TV. There are, at last count, 450 different SportsNet and TSN channels - or maybe more by the time this is posted!) 

But in Toronto radio, there's just TSN1050 and the Fan 590. What happens if the Raptors, Jays and Leafs are all playing the exact same time on the exact same night? Who gets ignored? Do the Jays get priority on the Fan because Rogers owns them and it's part of the contract? If so who gets left out? Will there be delayed broadcasts or other contests joined in progress? And does anything get shifted over to TSN1150? (which I'm assuming is still on the air, I haven't heard it in so long.) Where does Rogers turn with the excess when it's their turn for hockey or basketball and the Jays are in action? 680 News?

Perhaps the biggest game in town won't be who's playing who. It might be who's covering who and how they'll manage to get a flood of sports in where there's too many games and not enough outlets to broadcast them all on.

Sportsnet announces Raptors return-to-play broadcast schedule   

July 20, 2020 2:30 pm  #2

Re: What Happens On Sports Radio When All The Games Are On At Once?

It also depends on how contract right go. If the Jays are contracted to air strictly on the Fan, then 680 will most likely stop the news to fit another sport in. 
(a rare exception, which normally only happens during playoffs)

640 could also pick up some games but I'm not sure how that would work if they don't have any current arrangements. They had Hockey rights may years ago, but not currently. 

Could NT 1010 pick up some games? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 20, 2020 2:59 pm  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

It also depends on how contract right go. If the Jays are contracted to air strictly on the Fan, then 680 will most likely stop the news to fit another sport in. 

Well, in terms of a contract between the Jays and The Fan, obviously that's a single party. The tricky actor is MLB, which is incredibly strict with broadcast rights, which is probably why last season there were inconsequential Jays' games on 590 while Raptors championship games ended up on 680.

So the Raptors get shifted first, 590 for Rogers and 1010 for Bell.

If *everyone's* in action, 1150 comes into play if I remember correctly.

The FM's never factor in.

July 20, 2020 5:14 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

The FM's never factor in.

I'll agree with that in current terms. It has been done, but those who put hockey on FM (in Toronto) are no longer in the radio biz in 2020... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 20, 2020 7:54 pm  #5

At least one mystery has been solved. A closer look at the Raptor sked indicates that the August 7th match against the Celtics will be heard on 680 News starting at 9 PM. That's because the Jays are also playing that night at 7:30, ironically enough the Red Sox, another Boston team. That one will be on the Fan. 

So it looks like CFTR will be the alternate when needed. 

More media material:

Sportsnet announces Blue Jays return-to-play broadcast schedule

Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson will be calling the Leafs’ playoff games

July 20, 2020 8:31 pm  #6