| The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2015 10:08 am  #1

Changed the dial from NT 1010

Had to change the dial from NT 1010 this morning.  Bendixen's direction of "All Uber, all the time..." for the second day in a row was too much.  How much input do the morning hosts have on the production of their shows?

When the hand goes up, the mouth goes shut !
~ Harvey Atkin

June 3, 2015 10:55 am  #2

Re: Changed the dial from NT 1010

In the 'what you're talking about, we're talking about' deaprtment, last night out with a bunch of friends and Uber was a huge topic between us.  Most of us are taxi/public transit people, and to be honest, not one person in the group had ever used 'an uber' nor planned to, but the court case brought it front and center, as did Justine's driver experience and the video out of Los Angeles showing drivers how to drive up the prices in certain areas.

There's no question the morning hosts own their shows.  But that's not to say there isn't a lot of consultation and back n' forth over topics and what's covered.  

It's also a fine line with talk radio listeners, especially during a drive period.  you have listeners who are in and out within 22 minutes, and you have others who start at 5:30am and sit through the rest of the day with the radio beside them.  The 22 minute listeners call in, pissed, that you didn't cover their 'important issue', and the all day folks call in complaining you're beating that issue to death. 

I was always of the opinion morning shows don't repeat stuff enough.   The 6:10 great segment will be great for about 90% of a new audience at 8:10.  And yes, some of the other 10% won't be happy about it, but if it really was a good segment, a bunch of them will be happy to hear it again.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 3, 2015 11:26 am  #3

Re: Changed the dial from NT 1010

Its one thing to repeat but like I said " all Uber, all the time..." was a bit much this morning.

When the hand goes up, the mouth goes shut !
~ Harvey Atkin
     Thread Starter