sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2020 9:12 am  #1

Do You Recognize These Now Famous Faces From Kitchener Radio's Past?

Dan Fisher has an extensive radio site dedicated totally to Kitchener-Waterloo and there are some familiar faces on display among the vintage pics. It reveals that the Tri-Cities was a great place to get a career started. Can you guess who's who in the ones below?

It's a very young SOWNY member Mike Marshall, who would, of course go on to much bigger and better things in other markets. Fisher thinks it's from 1960 or 1961. 

And who's this woman?

Hard to believe, but it's Lisa LaFlamme, now the anchor of CTV National News. 

One more - the easiest one in the group, because he still pretty much looks the same.

It's Roger Ashby, long before his Oldies Show, CHUM and CKOC days. According to the site, he worked at CKWW as a board op.

If you're interested in a look back at a market that doesn't always get the attention it should, check out the site here. (Thanks to Canadian Radio News on Facebook for the link.)

July 10, 2020 9:57 pm  #2

Re: Do You Recognize These Now Famous Faces From Kitchener Radio's Past?

Hey! It's me with a tie! That didn't last long. And my Tim Horton haircut. It's completely gone, too.

July 11, 2020 6:21 am  #3

It was a tradition when the KW radio/TV types got together to tell lies and have lunch.  It was Dan Fisher who always  organized the nosh.  In the early 60's it was CKCR, CKKW  and CKCO-TV. 
   http://www.danfisher.org/untitled10.html

July 11, 2020 10:55 am  #4

Thanks for posting the link Gary, this is fantastic. I will be spending a lot of time on this site and all the links to others.
What great history and memories here.  Really enjoyed the CKCO site link.  Anyone going to the link above, be sure to also hit the home and "blue dot."  This was a lot of work, well done!