sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2020 9:08 am  #1

Suicide

I thought that the media didn't report on suicides.

All morning 1010, in it's news reports, were reporting on a closure on the 401, as a police investigation into "a person who may have taken his life"

July 10, 2020 11:54 am  #2

Re: Suicide

I've noticed recently that news media is mentioning subway jumpers as well: "injury at track level". I don't recall that being reported on in the past.

July 10, 2020 3:07 pm  #3

I'm not a ND, or Assignment Editor / Producer, but you are right...  not something which is normally covered. The only exception(s) I can recall is when the tragic event has resulted in significant disruption to the general public at large.

For instance, when someone ends their life by jumping from a high elevation to a major highway of arterial road below.  Police (and other emergency services) will always set up a perimeter to limit traffic and potential injury to others at such a situation. This could be in the form of a highway closure or detour.  People have a general right to know what is happening, just not the specific details.

So it can be reported as "closure due to an on going police situtation" or,  "as a result of a person in crisis or distress"...

My brother has friend who was a supervisor/inspector on the TTC subway.  I remember him telling us that when ever you heard the announcement saying "Union 40, Union 40, call control"  that that was TTC code for someone who has ended up on the tracks.. typically a suicide by jumping.  

July 10, 2020 3:30 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

My brother has friend who was a supervisor/inspector on the TTC subway.  I remember him telling us that when ever you heard the announcement saying "Union 40, Union 40, call control"  that that was TTC code for someone who has ended up on the tracks.. typically a suicide by jumping.

Don't see a "40" here, but I have no reason to doubt you. This list is from 2016, but it explains what all those numbers you hear on the PA system mean. 

Subway/RT P.A. Code Numbers