sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2020 4:56 pm  #1

Oakley Show

When, and why, has John Oakley's show turned into a light-weight giggle-fest?  Pop culture and social media seems to have taken over as topics, and it is not convincing.

July 9, 2020 5:07 pm  #2

Re: Oakley Show

416 870 6400.  Call that number and ask for John.  

July 9, 2020 5:14 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

416 870 6400.  Call that number and ask for John.  

I doubt he has much to do with it.

July 9, 2020 5:37 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

When, and why, has John Oakley's show turned into a light-weight giggle-fest?  Pop culture and social media seems to have taken over as topics, and it is not convincing.

I like when John's unique humour comes through and his take on the "human condition."  Oakley is actually funny, unlike the frat boys on 1010 who try to be witty but don't have the vocabulary and quick mind of John.  Ryan Doyle comes off as whiny know it all to me and not that entertaining. I know they have the ratings but to me their show tends not to be that interesting, and often just talk with not much content.  

Oakley has always been great with his guest panelists and he brings out their humour.   Talk radio does not need to be serious or issues oriented all the time.  Oakley's show is still mostly serious but the lighter breaks with humour to me are a welcome change, and he and his guests can actually pull it off.  People occasionally need a laugh.

July 9, 2020 5:43 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Charlie wrote:

I like when John's unique humour comes through and his take on the "human condition."  Oakley is actually funny, unlike the frat boys on 1010 who try to be witty but don't have the vocabulary and quick mind of John.  Ryan Doyle comes off as whiny know it all to me and not that entertaining. I know they have the ratings but to me their show tends not to be that interesting, and often just talk with not much content.  

Oakley has always been great with his guest panelists and he brings out their humour.   Talk radio does not need to be serious or issues oriented all the time.  Oakley's show is still mostly serious but the lighter breaks with humour to me are a welcome change, and he and his guests can actually pull it off.  People occasionally need a laugh.

Agreed, the humour has always been part of the charm, but the tone has changed.  I'm a regular Oakley listener, and will continue to be so, but there has been a shift.  Maybe they're trying something different due to ratings  We'll see.

July 9, 2020 6:52 pm  #6

I third that emotion. I've never been a huge Oakley fan but at least his show doesn't border on the obnoxious that RB's does. Doyle is a blowhard who's never worked anywhere else in radio and Michaels, while a talented jock, doesn't really belong in a talk format. His attempts to be funny are painful, and Doyle's pretend tittering laughter in return is almost enough to make me want to hear Tom Mihalik doing one of his own spots. Although I'm rarely on 1010 at that time of day. 

Coincidentally, I was talking to a news announcer friend of mine about this a few weeks ago. His comment was something like 'The number one talk station in all of Canada and this is the best they can do for their afternoon drivetime show?' 

He has a point.

July 9, 2020 8:56 pm  #7

1010 has John Moore and some other folks ..

July 13, 2020 3:19 pm  #8

I too have noticed  the change and applaud it.I'm tired of all Covid all the time and all these heavy hard hitting topics  that are repeated from morning to night, change it up people . I think that its time talk show's had entertainment and pop culture in them . who knows advertisers may find a new spot to sponsor ?

July 13, 2020 4:01 pm  #9

Stinand wrote:

I too have noticed  the change and applaud it.I'm tired of all Covid all the time and all these heavy hard hitting topics  that are repeated from morning to night, change it up people . I think that its time talk show's had entertainment and pop culture in them . who knows advertisers may find a new spot to sponsor ?

You must, y'know, love Kelly Cutrara's daily promotion of social media and celebrity culture, then.  To each their own.

July 13, 2020 6:07 pm  #10

I think I now understand what you are talking about Charlie.  Listened to some of the Oakley program today and a few of the callers seemed to be sort of "friends of the show" type of calls.  These guys both sounded like stand up comedians and their comments were really more one liners all the way through.  Mind you some were funny, and Oakley was laughing through most of the call.

It was sort of like when 640 was "guys radio" or more like Oakley's morning show which had regulars who would call in. I found his morning program really funny, but like all shows on 640, the ratings just weren't there. 

They may be trying to lighten up the show a bit, or see an opportunity since Newstalk 1010's show is never really funny, even when they are trying.  But humour if overdone or a bit that just doesn't work can turn off as many as enjoy the comedy. 

Last edited by paterson1 (July 13, 2020 6:09 pm)

July 13, 2020 6:58 pm  #11

The consultancy has concluded that the mealy-mouthed bigot persona plays less well than it used to to the under-89 demographic.

July 13, 2020 8:58 pm  #12

I remember when John Oakley was the morning guy at CFMJ

July 14, 2020 5:52 am  #13

Haven't listened to Oakley in many, many a year.  We're talking back when Oakley was the morning guy on AM640.   Back then I didn't mind Oakley himself .. his style was amusing & entertaining.

BUT .. what permanently drove me away from his show was some of his regular guest contributors.  The rude, obnoxious, boorish bombast of the likes of a David Menzies or a Charles McVety was disgusting. 

Last edited by g121 (July 14, 2020 5:53 am)

July 14, 2020 8:05 am  #14

g121 wrote:

BUT .. what permanently drove me away from his show was some of his regular guest contributors.  The rude, obnoxious, boorish bombast of the likes of a David Menzies or a Charles McVety was disgusting. 

May I drop a very large AMEN in here?

July 17, 2020 3:59 pm  #15

If you're tired of Oakley's shtick, you're going to get a fairly long break from it. He confirmed on Friday that he'll be off for the next three weeks, meaning he won't be back on air until early August.

No word on who's subbing but the name Peter Shurman looms large in my mind. 

July 17, 2020 5:07 pm  #16

Isn't CBC 1 the number one talk radio station in the GTA? It's ratings prove that...I find it a refuge from some of the papp, I hear on NT1010 and 640, although it does have a leftist slant to it.

I guess there's always rock and roll radio!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 17, 2020 7:23 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

If you're tired of Oakley's shtick, you're going to get a fairly long break from it. He confirmed on Friday that he'll be off for the next three weeks, meaning he won't be back on air until early August.

God help us.

July 17, 2020 10:00 pm  #18

Charlie wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

... No word on who's subbing but the name Peter Shurman looms large in my mind. 

God help us.

Would you rather Bynon? Or Carroll? Or Bullard?

July 17, 2020 10:38 pm  #19

CKNT isn't the same without Bullard 

July 18, 2020 12:45 am  #20

Chrisphen wrote:

Charlie wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

... No word on who's subbing but the name Peter Shurman looms large in my mind. 

God help us.

Would you rather Bynon? Or Carroll? Or Bullard?

Yes, yes, and no, but as Carroll works for Bell, that's not likely to happen, but with him, you never know.

Last edited by Charlie (July 18, 2020 12:47 am)

July 20, 2020 6:13 am  #21

On Friday, Oakley made a big deal about how he was planning to go up north for three weeks, turn off social media, deliberately ignore current events and camp out in nature.

But on Monday, he suddenly turned up as a fill-in on the 640 Morning Show. There's no word on what happened to Stafford and Supriya, but whatever took place, to have to tell one of your longest serving on-air people that he not only has to delay his vacation but to get up at 3 AM to prep for an early morning shift - well, let's just say I would have loved to be listening in on that conversation!

It's amazing to me that they're apparently so short staffed they have to have a prominent personality apparently cancel a planned vacation. Where was Peter Shurman, Greg Brady, even Alex Pierson? I'd love to know what led to Oakley coming back to the morning shift for at least one day.

One thing I'm pretty sure of - he can't be a happy camper. Or in this case, a camper at all.

July 20, 2020 7:28 am  #22

It was a delight hearing the master of the airwaves returning to, what some may call, his birthright; The morning show.

July 20, 2020 10:18 am  #23

Cutrara mentioned on her show that Oakley is in for Stafford and Surpriya all week.  What happened to his vacation?  Did the morning tag team ever mention being on holidays this week?  Something's up.

July 20, 2020 11:11 am  #24

Mid July is the time when Corus and others like to 'restructure' before the new fiscal year starts in September. Stay tuned. 

July 20, 2020 11:58 am  #25

This really wouldn't have been a story - if, in fact, it is - had Oakley not made such a big deal about his camping vacation on his Friday show. Clearly, he had no idea this fill-in shift was imminent and it gives rise to lots of speculation regarding the reason behind it. It's very odd that someone's long planned time off is delayed or cancelled, and that's not just in broadcasting.

(I once worked for a station where we were doing a show that employed at least six people and our producer suddenly came back from his vacation a week early without any notice and told us the program had been cancelled. There was absolutely no sign it was coming and we were all stunned when we saw him in the building. So this kind of stuff usually only happens when it's serious.)    

We'll see if anything comes of it.  

July 20, 2020 2:49 pm  #26

RadioActive wrote:

It turns out it's Arlene Bynon, at least on Monday. 

July 21, 2020 6:10 am  #27

RadioActive wrote:

On Friday, Oakley made a big deal about how he was planning to go up north for three weeks, turn off social media, deliberately ignore current events and camp out in nature   

Parking lots up here have been closed to all but the locals.   Can a Toronto talk-show host obtain an exemption on the grounds of being an essential worker?

July 21, 2020 6:33 am  #28

He said he was going camping, so he likely wouldn't be in a parking lot.  Besides how would Walmart or Food Basics in cottage country control their parking lot to make sure no "outsiders" are parked there?  If people from the GTA can't go camping or park up north as you say, why has this not been in the media?? This would be kind of a big deal, since a few million people go up north every summer.  Guess I should text my friends who have been up north for a few weeks.  I believe you should make sure you are correct on your comment.   Sounds very " fishy"...

July 21, 2020 6:43 am  #29

CTV Barrie news has been reporting non-resident restrictions for weeks; Oakley will be lucky to get past Aurora

July 21, 2020 7:06 am  #30

Yes, I hear the  guards and operatives in Aurora can be very thorough even rough..https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/ermm.png
  Does CTV Barrie have a good news operation?  CKVR/the new VR years ago was a great local station with excellent news. Haven't seen them in years.