sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2020 7:46 pm  #1

Canada Talks on SiriusXM

Give Andrew Krystal the 7-9 pm slot rather than repeating Arlene Bynon. 
Allision Dore is a non-entity. 
Jeff Sammut should be doing sports. 
Ben and Bilal - who are these guys. 

July 10, 2020 12:17 pm  #2

Re: Canada Talks on SiriusXM

Satellite doesn’t get ratings, so it’s less about being able to draw listeners than being chummy with the programmer. It’s embarrassing to think of some American tuning in and thinking this is the best Canada can do for talk radio. Until there’s any accountability it will be license-mandated filler.

July 10, 2020 1:37 pm  #3

Bynon as a representative of Canada? God help us.

July 10, 2020 4:01 pm  #4

I have SiriusXM and don't listen to Canada Talks very often. Guess I should give them a chance.  Are they still connected with The National Post for a few shows?

I think one of the problems with Canada Talks is lack of promotion. I never see or hear anything about them and it is out of sight out of mind. When I have tuned in they were pretty boring or the hosts too" inside sports" with their comments and humour. Not really relating much with the listener.

After having SiriusXM for 4 years now, I am likely going to pull the plug this fall since I am listening less and less.  Most of the US talk stations I have checked out over the years aren't very interesting either and people like Howard Stern and juvenile opinionated biased talk show hosts grow stale real quick.

The music stations are ok, but like regular radio repetitive. They overplay certain artists and songs in my opinion. I keep hearing the same songs by Billy Joel and Hall and Oates, artists that had many hits.   I swear I hear Bryan Adams and Cory Hart more on 80's on 8 than I have ever heard on boom 97.3 or CHFI.  If you want to hear Anne Murray, she pops up quite a bit on 70's on 7, Could I Have This Dance and Snowbird are two favourites.

The best thing about the music channels would be no commercials but beyond that most of the jocks are pretty ordinary and don't put much effort into their shows.   Some of them are actually annoying and the music on 60's on 6 through to First Wave to me is pretty safe and repetitive.  I do love their jingles and imaging on some of the channels however, they do an excellent job with that. 

SiriusXM was interesting when I first had the service but after 4 years and the fact in the car i usually listen to local radio, I am thinking it isn't worth the monthly fee. Maybe I should just start listening to some new stations and see if there is something else and give the other stations I listen to a rest for a few months.

July 10, 2020 5:47 pm  #5

I have Sirius for two weeks,. The music stations can be found on a number of free radio apps (Exclusive Radio) is a good one. Stern works only three days a week when he is not on vacation and seems to be mailing it in. I doubt I will pay for it when the free preview ends in October. 

July 10, 2020 7:07 pm  #6

cash wrote:

I have Sirius for two weeks,. The music stations can be found on a number of free radio apps (Exclusive Radio) is a good one. Stern works only three days a week when he is not on vacation and seems to be mailing it in. I doubt I will pay for it when the free preview ends in October. 

Stern is still great even though he’s producing much less content. He’s been by far the best, most influential talk radio host for the last quarter-century, and I imagine when his time is up, SiriusXM will hemorrhage subscribers..

July 10, 2020 7:11 pm  #7

I've been a subscriber since their Canadian launch (so 15 years now?) and I still love it. 

The playlists definitely became more conservative since the merger, but because I'm a fan of virtually every genre, I can bump around if any channel gets a little too boring. 

The Spectrum has been a favourite since day one, and they haven't changed anything on that channel other than the logo in all that time.

There are some hidden gems too, like North Americana - which is programmed out of Toronto.

Add to that the new playlist-oriented channels available on the app since the merger with Pandora, and I'm not leaving anytime soon. 

July 10, 2020 8:13 pm  #8

Holliday wrote:

cash wrote:

Stern is still great even though he’s producing much less content. He’s been by far the best, most influential talk radio host for the last quarter-century, and I imagine when his time is up, SiriusXM will hemorrhage subscribers..

They're not giving up on getting him back before his contract is up. This is from just over a month ago:

Sirius XM Will “Pick Up The Pace” On Howard Stern’s Contract Renewal Talks, CEO Says

July 11, 2020 9:57 am  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

I've been a subscriber since their Canadian launch (so 15 years now?) and I still love it. 

The playlists definitely became more conservative since the merger, but because I'm a fan of virtually every genre, I can bump around if any channel gets a little too boring. 

The Spectrum has been a favourite since day one, and they haven't changed anything on that channel other than the logo in all that time.

There are some hidden gems too, like North Americana - which is programmed out of Toronto.

Add to that the new playlist-oriented channels available on the app since the merger with Pandora, and I'm not leaving anytime soon. 

I think I'll check out some of the stations you mentioned.  Probably just have been listening to the same stations too long. My music tastes are pretty varied, although I do tend to stay away from the one artist channels. I really enjoyed SiriusXM when I first had it in the car, but over the past year or so I just have gotten out of the habit of tuning in much.  Also tend to stay away from most of the talk and sports stations.

July 11, 2020 3:15 pm  #10

how much would a person be paid to host a show for one hour a day on sirius??

July 13, 2020 7:17 pm  #11

Stern returned today. I am listening right now.