sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2020 5:36 pm  #1

Why are you paying for cable sports channels you’re not watching?

The Globe's Simon Houpt asks the question cable companies would rather you didn't. 

Why are we paying for cable sports channels we’re not watching?

July 3, 2020 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Why are you paying for cable sports channels you’re not watching?

A rather pointless article. Cancel the channels then if you aren't watching. Why am I paying $6.50 for a Saturday Globe and Mail when I don't read or have no interest in 95% of the articles?  Can I get a rebate back from the Globe?

July 3, 2020 8:41 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

A rather pointless article. Cancel the channels then if you aren't watching. 

That goes in violation of savings, if you know anything about how to keep your bill down with Rogers. 
Take the middle package at a discounted rate, then complain about what you are not watching. (to the loyalty department of Rogers) 
They will inform you that you are already at the lowest possible discounted rate for billing.
Cancelling channels will jack up the bill.

Same for those who want to downgrade to basic cable...how much rent are you paying for that cable box? Zero? Then keep the cable package you have or go down to basic and pay what you are already paying now for a lot less channels. (basic cable and then a rental fee for the box, or current cable package and free digital box-in my case a free Nextbox 3.0 for as long as I am a customer) 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 3, 2020 10:35 pm  #4

Because everything's so bundled and intertwined that you can cancel your spots package and your cell phone bill goes up.

July 3, 2020 11:38 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Because everything's so bundled and intertwined that you can cancel your spots package and your cell phone bill goes up.

this is true.  if you delete the sports channels, then sign up for an equal number of other channels that you'll never watch to balance out the package.  otherwise you're still wasting money or losing bundle discounts.  it's cheaper to keep my home phone with bell (that hasn't been connected in 4 years) because i get a bundle discount.  they've got me by the bell's so to speak.

July 4, 2020 12:24 am  #6

I just want more "HOME PHONE".   Yeah, that's the ticket.     I do fondly recall the days when I could find "You" on Canada 411 (your address, etc), and when I had "call display" back in 1994, the caller name actually showed up when the phone freaking rang!    Times have changed, and if anyone admits to owning a "Home Phone" these days, They're old farts or need a number for their teenagers to ring up in desperation!    But it's still a big offer on TV, selling that rubbish.    My first  cell phone was in 1992!

July 4, 2020 3:04 am  #7

SpinningWheel wrote:

I just want more "HOME PHONE".   Yeah, that's the ticket.     I do fondly recall the days when I could find "You" on Canada 411 (your address, etc), and when I had "call display" back in 1994, the caller name actually showed up when the phone freaking rang!    Times have changed, and if anyone admits to owning a "Home Phone" these days, They're old farts or need a number for their teenagers to ring up in desperation!    But it's still a big offer on TV, selling that rubbish.    My first  cell phone was in 1992!

LOL @ Old farts. If that is true, I have both a landline and a smartphone.  The landline is there so when I can't find my cell phone I can call it!  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.