sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2020 9:44 am  #1

Is This The Audio Solution For Broadcasters Stuck In Their Homes?

I'm not a huge tech guy, but I found this article in Forbes Magazine pretty interesting. It's about a purportedly new technology that replaces ISDN and Internet lines for getting a broadcast quality show on the air remotely - without all the dropouts and audio artifacts we've seen during the virus lockdown. 

It also has the added bonus of being cheap - something every radio station Bean Counter will love to hear. And it's relatively simple to hook up.

If it works as advertised, it could be a real bonus at a hard time for the industry. 

British Company Rescues Radio Industry With A Brilliant Device For Broadcasting From Home 

Sip.audio Website

July 2, 2020 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Is This The Audio Solution For Broadcasters Stuck In Their Homes?

Source-Connect is an option that’s been used more frequently of late for remote recording, and is comparable to ISDN. https://source-elements.com/products/source-connect

July 2, 2020 4:15 pm  #3

Re: Is This The Audio Solution For Broadcasters Stuck In Their Homes?

SIP still requires internet lines.  It's essentially the technology behind VoIP telephony.  Well, not essentially.  It is.

SIP.audio is using the OPUS codec which is solid, sounds great, and is used a lot by various web conferencing platforms and broadcast audio codec companies.  (It's what Telos Infinity uses for Infinity Link connections that go outside of the local LAN for AoIP Intercom). 

A lot of rack mounted studio side codecs would have the ability to accept an OPUS connection from SIP.audio or find a common algorithm like G.722 or something of the like.  Bear in mind when going inter-vendor on those connections, you most likely lose out on any of the proprietary threading/redundant/diversity schemes that Tieline/Comrex/Digigram/Telos can employ pairing one of their studio units to one of their field units.  They'll 99% of the time be able to find a common codec for an inter-brand connection...you just won't have the extra bit of reliability you might get keeping it "all in the family".  They won't be as wallet friendly as essentially a Raspberry Pi with a custom interface, but they can be more mission critical reliable, especially with non-QoS connections over the net.

WIth all of that said, most codec vendors have a contribution-by-Opus platform already in place you could utilize.  Tieline with Report-IT, Comrex with FieldTap or their Opal unit, Digigram has one as well I believe.  And while Telos doesn't really do field units, you can do a SIP connection to a Z/IP One with the Luci Live app (the LITE version is free).  

Source-Connect has been around for quite some time.  I haven't delved into that too much over the ensuing years, but my understanding was it was used for ProTools to ProTools links, I'm sure they have probably expanded over the last decade or so to other DAW's.  I'll have to do some reading to see where that platform is at these days.