sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2020 9:33 am  #1

When Radio Contests Go Wrong

This isn’t local, but what a great radio story. It happened in Singapore of all places, where a somewhat obsessed radio fan became determined to win a $10,000 first prize by identifying the celebrity voices in a station’s contest.

He tuned in endlessly, hearing wrong guesses and even making a few himself, until finally he got through on the contest line one more time and gave his answer. They told him he was wrong. A few weeks later, someone won the prize – using the exact same names.

He was understandably upset – why did they say he was wrong? The station explained he’d mispronounced one of the names and was disqualified under the rules. Undaunted, he contacted the celebrity in question, sent him the aircheck and asked him how to pronounce his own name!

What happened next apparently still isn’t over.

Spandau Ballet, a radio quiz, one syllable - and a $10,000 riddle

May 21, 2020 7:17 pm  #2

Re: When Radio Contests Go Wrong

So when the band member was asked if the pronunciation was correct, did he say that it was "True"?
(oh come on - that was "Gold") - haaaaaaa I Kill Me

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 21, 2020 8:16 pm  #3

Jody Thornton wrote:

So when the band member was asked if the pronunciation was correct, did he say that it was "True"?
(oh come on - that was "Gold") - haaaaaaa I Kill Me

Geez Jody! "To Cut a Long Story Short", I'd think the obvious song for you is their "I'll Fly For You". ✈️ That's your "Lifeline"! Haha I got 3 in there! 🤣

May 22, 2020 9:29 am  #4

Just to finish this story, I don't suppose it will surprise many that, under such intense worldwide scrutiny, the radio station has now relented and will give the listener the $10,000 prize. I wonder if anyone lost their job over this PR disaster? Then again, the free publicity alone has to be worth more than 10-grand.

Spandau Ballet star helps Singapore quizzer win fight for radio prize