sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2020 1:24 pm  #1

City TV Airing Warnings About Frequency Change For OTA Viewers

On Saturday night, I happened to be changing the channel when I noticed something on City TV I hadn’t seen before. They were broadcasting a warning to viewers who watch over-the-air that they soon might lose the signal because of a frequency switch, something most of us here are familiar with.

What especially caught my eye, though, was the info that it would happen in June, although they didn’t specify the date. I thought this was supposed to take place in July. They advised viewers to go to their website for more info, but I haven’t been able to find anything there on it. As usual, if you're on cable or satellite, it doesn't apply to you. 

For the record, whenever it happens, the station will be moving from Channel 44 to Channel 18.

Not sure of the exact date but I’m sure we’ll know before it happens. No word if the other stations are airing the same kinds of warnings.

This is phase 10 of the repack, with the following moves yet to take place:

CKVR From channel 10 to channel 9

CJMT (Omni 2) from channel 40 to 26

CFMT (Omni 1) from channel 47 to 30

CIII (aka Global) from channel 41 to 17

CKVP (The repeater of CKVR's CTV2 in Fonthill) from channel 42 to 29.

If you're in or around the GTA, this almost certainly won't pose any reception problems. Hopefully, those outside of the area who get these stations on antenna now will still be able to receive them when the moves are done. 

May 17, 2020 5:53 pm  #2

Re: City TV Airing Warnings About Frequency Change For OTA Viewers

I doubt you will see CKVR move. Why bother? Just like CKWS was suppose to move to 13 and didn’t.
As for City, when they move, we will likely see the other 3 [OMNI 1&2, Global] change on the same night as well. They are all connecting into a master antenna.

Last edited by andysradio (May 18, 2020 6:48 am)

May 17, 2020 7:48 pm  #3

Isn't CFMT going to move from 47 to 30 at the same time as City TV's move to 18?

The Commission approves the applications by Rogers Media Inc. to change the authorized contours of the English-language television programming undertakings CITY-DT Toronto and CFMT-DT Toronto by exchanging the channels on which their respective transmitters are assigned to operate. Going forward, CITY-DT will operate its transmitter on channel 18 and CFMT-DT will operate its transmitter on channel 30.
Source:  
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2019/2019-435.htm

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 17, 2020 11:52 pm  #4

I suspect all the stations will switch places at the same time. This was the pattern in Buffalo for the most part and I don't see any reason history won't repeat itself. Does anyone know the day (or more likely the early morning) when this will happen?

May 18, 2020 1:50 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

They advised viewers to go to their website for more info, but I haven’t been able to find anything there on it. As usual, if you're on cable or satellite, it doesn't apply to you. 

It's in their FAQ section:  https://www.citytv.com/about/faq  

"The changes taking place are mostly hidden to you the viewer. The channel frequency will change, requiring you to re-scan, but the channel number displayed on your television set will remain the same as what you currently see.""

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.