sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2020 10:36 pm  #1

The Curse Of 2020 Claims Two More Greats

This annus horribilis, as Queen Elizabeth once called the year 1992, continues in 2020 with the loss of two more greats. 

Fred Willard, the terrific character actor who made a cameo appearance as Jay Pritchard's father in the final season of "Modern Family" earlier this year, has died of natural causes. Not a lot to do with broadcasting, per se, but in addition to some of the great movies he did like "Best in Show" or "Waiting for Guffman," Willard played Jerry Hubbard, the announcer sidekick to Martin Mull on "Fernwood 2Night," a Norman Lear take-off on late night talk shows that became something of a sensation in 1977. He was 86. 

Fred Willard, Scene Stealer Extraordinaire, Dies At 86

And Phyllis George is also gone. She was a former Miss America but she also managed to revolutionize broadcasting by becoming the first network female sportscaster in history. She started on "The NFL Today" back in 1975, at a time when ladies were neither seen nor heard on sports shows. And she paved the way for a lot of talented women who are on those same kinds of shows today. She was only 70, but had been fighting a blood disorder for many years.

Phyllis George, female sportscasting pioneer, dies at 70 

[Edit]
And I just noticed on the Oldies Board that Astrid Kirchherr also passed away. If that name isn't immediately familiar, you'll never forget what she did. She was the German avant guarde artist who created the famous Beatle haircut that garnered the group so much attention in the early 60s. She was 81. 

Astrid Kirchherr, Woman Behind Beatles Style Setting Haircut, Is Gone

So that makes three in one week, in addition to all the others who've passed away this year. And it's only May. In the year of COVID-19, it could be a terrible and long list by the time we reach December.

Last edited by RadioActive (May 16, 2020 10:42 pm)

May 17, 2020 7:15 am  #2

Re: The Curse Of 2020 Claims Two More Greats

Can I ask an innocent question? Why is it a shock, outrage and faux pandemonium when someone elderly, especially in their 80s and beyond, dies? Is there a better year/time for someone to pass? Please let me know and I'll strive to hold on until then. ⚰️🧟‍♂️

May 17, 2020 8:15 am  #3

Carry on RA.  Your still my favourite Sheriff; in these here parts.  I don't envy your job.  (It's hard to please everyone in life.")   It's too long a story; but that last line of mine was advice I got from Jungle Jay Nelson in the kitchen at 1331 Yonge when I was a young broadcaster and not having a very good day.

Last edited by John D (May 17, 2020 8:16 am)

May 17, 2020 8:25 am  #4

Hey RA, slight correction but Fred was Phil Dunphy's dad on Modern Family...I liked his role, had no idea he was 86...he lived a long good life.

RIP to them all!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 17, 2020 3:36 pm  #5

John D wrote:

Carry on RA.  Your still my favourite Sheriff; in these here parts.  I don't envy your job.  (It's hard to please everyone in life.")

Well stated.

May 17, 2020 3:57 pm  #6

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Can I ask an innocent question? Why is it a shock, outrage and faux pandemonium when someone elderly, especially in their 80s and beyond, dies? Is there a better year/time for someone to pass? Please let me know and I'll strive to hold on until then. ⚰️🧟‍♂️

Keep talking like that and I swear to god I'm gonna start smoking cigars!
Great idea...Right George Burns??? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.