sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2020 2:13 pm  #1

COVID Scare Commercial

I just heard a radio ad that I thought was in rather bad taste.
I won't name names but it involved a local personality telling us that the Centres for Disease Control tells us that now is the time to open our windows and doors to let fresh air in and stale air out.
First, the C.D.C is the American health agency based in Atlanta, nothing to do with Canada.
But the next part I found annoying.  It says if you are too scared to open the doors and windows (because of COVID? because of home invasion?) then worry no more because a certain window and door company will make sure your home is safer and protected, blah blah blah.  
So first it advises us to obey a foreign health agency then uses a scare tactic to promote this home construction company!
That's tacky
f

May 8, 2020 3:45 pm  #2

Re: COVID Scare Commercial

Aren't MOST ads rooted in some sort of fright element? Other than Barb's Metalex door, how about the animal catcher? He swears that raccoon babies will hatch in your attic, grow to over 600% of their natural size and subsequently dismember and eat your entire family. And all the unemployment lawyers? They say, without them, your employer will fire you, steal all your retirement savings and subsequently dismember and eat your entire family. Or the real estate guy? Without him, you'll settle for such a low selling price, that any other agent will dismember and eat your entire family and the whole house.

May 8, 2020 3:50 pm  #3

Yes but Frank would kill and eat your family and then he'd buy your house at a price 100 thousand over asking!

May 8, 2020 4:03 pm  #4

newsguy1 wrote:

Yes but Frank would kill and eat your family and then he'd buy your house at a price 100 thousand over asking!

But, if he ate your entire family, there wouldn't be a need to pay anything over asking. He could under-bid, knowing there will be no opposition. Case-in-point: Jack and Jill needed to sell their home to afford the cottage next to the Ford's. They called Frank and he came over with some cilantro, pulled pork, human BBQ sauce and a crock pot. Long story short: Jack and Jill went up that hill and fell into the slow cooker, never to be seen again. Now, start packing.

May 14, 2020 7:02 am  #5

Just heard another one of these kinds of ultra-scare spots and it's more than a bit over-the-top. A menacing voice talks about how grocery store shelves are empty and that the food chain in Canada is about to disappear. It then praises Donald Trump for the amount he's giving farmers in aid in the U.S. and questions why Justin Trudeau has been so chintzy in his own federal help for agriculture.

The commercial ends with a warning that asks something like, 'If farmers go broke, then where will your food come from?' followed by a web address to find more frightening info (and lobbying so you can contact your MP and complain.)

In essence, it tries to tell listeners they're soon going to starve to death if something isn't done immediately.

I won't necessarily dispute the fact that the feds weren't exactly generous when it came to this sector over all the others, but complimenting Trump in Canada probably won't go over all that well here with most Canadians. And threatening people with starvation at a time when grocery shopping is already a nerve-racking experience may not be the best idea.

The spot is sponsored by -surprise! - Canada's grain farmers.

I get the urgency but I'm not sure this is the best time for those kind of tactics.

May 14, 2020 8:41 am  #6

Create a fear...
Offer a solution.

As old as time.

May 14, 2020 8:54 am  #7

"Canada's grain farmers and Donald Trump: on the cutting edge of finding a cure of this killer virus."

May 14, 2020 10:15 am  #8

OMG!! You are so right! The commies are coming -- time to cash in my pension and buy gold bars. (and store them behind them metal doors) 💰🏅Thank god for CityPanicTwoFour.