sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2020 9:30 am  #31

Re: Are You Sick Of All The Live COVID-19 Press Conferences On TV & Radio?

paterson1 wrote:

Now in terms of the government making it up as they go along, that really is more about Trudeau's speaking style. Justin often comes across this way with his hesitations and somewhat odd adolescent style that he still has. 

While I don't speak French, I don't sense the hesitations nearly as much when Trudeau is speaking in French.   So is it more of a question of Trudeau doing a mental translation into English which accounts for some of the hesitation while speaking English.

Can those who are bilingual comment?

May 12, 2020 12:04 pm  #32

mace wrote:

Count me in as part of the "one or two crowd" I DO read, and enjoy your long posts. Not all opinions can be expressed in several sentences. Neither can opposing views.  I noticed no snide, snarky comments. Both parties made valid points. The main point though, while RA and paterson1 did disagree on the topic of discussion, neither were disagreeable.

You are a good man mace.  I appreciate your time reading through my rambling, and at times incoherent, poorly written rants!  I am sure RA appreciates your consideration and patience as well.  Thanks for your thoughtful overview of the posts.

May 12, 2020 12:04 pm  #33

I'm waiting for Doug Ford to tell us his recipe for Cherry Cheesecake... in French. 🍒

May 12, 2020 5:17 pm  #34

As you know most children learn to speak at their mothers' knee. (Although, I'm not sure if that's where the term "mother tongue" comes from.)  JT's mother is an anglophone, so I suspect he might have been  more comfortable in English than French when he was younger. It doesn't seem that way now since his English is laden with verbal tics. But life happens. He married a francophone, he likely speaks to his children in French and I daresay the majority of the people who surround him are francophone. So, he might be more comfortable in French now. Plus francophones are a bit more forgiving when it comes to grammatical and other errors. The Anglos, not so much. (Lookin' at you "moistly"!) I think there's more pressure on him when he speaks English and it shows.

The tics are annoying, yes, but that dramatic style he adopts when reading  Bothers. Me. A. Lot.  More.

May 13, 2020 4:37 am  #35

g121 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Now in terms of the government making it up as they go along, that really is more about Trudeau's speaking style. Justin often comes across this way with his hesitations and somewhat odd adolescent style that he still has. 

While I don't speak French, I don't sense the hesitations nearly as much when Trudeau is speaking in French.   So is it more of a question of Trudeau doing a mental translation into English which accounts for some of the hesitation while speaking English.

Can those who are bilingual comment?

I've listened to a number of his speeches in the early days of the pandemic, and I agree with you g121 his phrasing is awkward and uneven.

I suspect the hesitation could come from poor breath control when reading out loud. It could be his drama teacher attempt to give added importance to his words in English, as well as the French/English translation factor. Maybe the sound levels in his ear piece switch up and down and distract him... the translation end of things is surprisingly amateurish and clunky.

"What got my potatoes boiling" what a great expression paterson1, I've never heard it before, and am definitely going to borrow it.

While I think the news conferences are important, personally I can't be arsed, as the Brits say, to listen to all the conferences all the time every day, after a while I found they add to the "what day is it and how many years have we been in self isolation" feeling... I do think it's a nice break for the on-air talent every day, plus fresh content etc.

67GreenRambler love the idea of escaping reality by watching the Patridge Family tv show for midday entertainment.

For me for lunchtime it's the 🏒 hot stove league on the Fan 590 with Hockey Central and Jeff Marek and Burkie and guests and Leafs Lunch with Andi Petrillo over on TSN 1050, tho I'd love to go retro, back to my elementary school days, and watch the Flintstones and eat a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches with a glass of Nestle Quik.

I rely on Robert Turner and John Moore on 1010, and Stafford and Supriya on 640 to be my Coles Notes for any relevant developments from the news conferences. And then Ryan and Jay and Dave from 6pm to 6:30.

In all the news, and discussions of the pandemic, I still very much miss Christie Blatchford. A couple of times a week as I hear the intro for the Newstalk 1010 roundtables, I think of her and wish she was still with us, and John Moore recently mentioned that he and the other people at the station still keenly feel her absence.

Stay safe everyone. 🖖

Last edited by betaylored (May 13, 2020 5:16 am)