sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2020 1:05 pm  #1

TekSavvy ups it's fees and may do so again

Whoah, bad timing or what, but due to the increased demand for internet time during the pandemic...TekSavvy has increased it's rates and feels it may need to do so again soon too!

Here's more on the story...

https://www.itbusiness.ca/news/teksavvy-hikes-prices-for-all-residential-internet-subscribers-and-says-it-may-need-to-do-it-again/114694

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 31, 2020 1:28 pm  #2

Re: TekSavvy ups it's fees and may do so again

I've been with Teksavvy for years until I had to leave last year due to my move.  The only viable TV option in my new place in Waterloo was Rogers.  (even satellite wasn't easily doable because of massive tree growth in the yard) I had a 3 digit Client ID!  It was really sad to have to leave them.  I felt like letting down a good friend.

So as you can imagine, I don't begrudge them the $5.  Keep in mind, this is the company who happily lowered their rates before those rates became official.  They never went for loss leaders.  They just charged a decent price for a high level of service.  One might even argue that in some cases, the price was a bit too low.  Now things are getting tough.  It's time to pay a bit more.  I can understand that.  If anything, I would argue that is the _right_ time to raise prices if for no other reason than it's a good excuse.  

I wish Teksavvy well.  Someday, I might even be back.

March 31, 2020 2:23 pm  #3

I got the email from them a few days ago. It hurt, but I don't blame them. As often happens, the real problem here is the usual suspects - Bell & Rogers - complaining about the CRTC ruling that was designed to level the playing field a bit for the smaller players. And while I was glad to see TS be one of the few companies that lowered their prices as a result of the original ruling, it didn't surprise me in the least that they had to shove things back up. 

I feel very bad about those laid off, since I've very occasionally needed tech support and those people were terrific, even when I was somewhat irascible. Teksavvy is a good company and I'd gladly pay a bit more (but still less than others) to this David than give my hard earned money to either of those other greedy Goliaths, who will never earn my patronage because of the way they do business. 

March 31, 2020 2:54 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I'd gladly pay a bit more (but still less than others) to this David than give my hard earned money to either of those other greedy Goliaths, who will never earn my patronage because of the way they do business. 

I've been paying "less than others" with Rogers. I have no complaints. Rogers is a very good company. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 31, 2020 3:54 pm  #5

Currently with Cogeco. We have been notified of a $3 per month price increase on internet service starting in May.