sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2020 12:31 am  #1

what's up with national networks news anchors?

public speaking 101: don't give the audience a reason to be distracted from your message. this evening the ctv news channel broke that rule. they had an an anchor with a pronounced south east asian accent. my focus was on understanding the words instead of comprehending the story (there is a difference). that to me, doesn't cut it. in my opinion, anyone with a pronounced accent (canadian/regional or international) shouldn't be placed in the anchor chair of a national news network. the focus should be on the story. in my opinion, nondescript is best. meanwhile, as i turned to the cbc's sunday edition of "the national", the anchor was (in my opinion) the best in canada. to me, he's as good as lorne green or lloyd robertson in their news reader prime. i'm referring to ian hanomansing. why the cbc wants to go with a 3 person anchor team (when they already have the best) is strange... very strange. 

March 2, 2020 1:05 am  #2

Re: what's up with national networks news anchors?

Ian Hanomansing is the best in Canada, IMHO.

I know the person you're referring to on CTV - Ashkay Tandon - and yes he is rather difficult to understand. I'm starting to get used to him however.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 2, 2020 11:29 am  #3

i remember when i first met ian. it was the mid 1980's and he was getting ready to host an on-air shift, on halifax's chns, as i was wrapping up my shift. it was a p/t gig for him (he was a student at dalhousie university). at that time, it was clear he was very shy (he spoke barely a word to me). when i heard his voice, coming out of the music library speaker, all i could say was... wow! he warmed up in time and sometimes joined us on the station softball team (that i put together). i also remember he had a nervous habit of rubbing the upper part of his legs (with both hands) when he spoke on-air... but that obviously disappeared with experience.
again, (and in my opinion) when it comes to news anchoring, he's the total package. i would think having him as the only monday to friday anchor (of the "national") makes total sense. i know i'm not alone when typing that comment.

March 2, 2020 3:07 pm  #4

the original hank wrote:

i remember when i first met ian. it was the mid 1980's and he was getting ready to host an on-air shift, on halifax's chns

That must have been the early 80s because I remember him on-air in Vancouver (I left Vancouver in '86)

March 2, 2020 6:32 pm  #5

geo wrote:

the original hank wrote:

i remember when i first met ian. it was the mid 1980's and he was getting ready to host an on-air shift, on halifax's chns

That must have been the early 80s because I remember him on-air in Vancouver (I left Vancouver in '86)

March 16, 2020 11:35 am  #6

the original hank wrote:

public speaking 101: don't give the audience a reason to be distracted from your message. this evening the ctv news channel broke that rule. they had an an anchor with a pronounced south east asian accent. my focus was on understanding the words instead of comprehending the story (there is a difference). that to me, doesn't cut it. in my opinion, anyone with a pronounced accent (canadian/regional or international) shouldn't be placed in the anchor chair of a national news network. the focus should be on the story. in my opinion, nondescript is best. meanwhile, as i turned to the cbc's sunday edition of "the national", the anchor was (in my opinion) the best in canada. to me, he's as good as lorne green or lloyd robertson in their news reader prime. i'm referring to ian hanomansing. why the cbc wants to go with a 3 person anchor team (when they already have the best) is strange... very strange. 

Ashkay Tandon on CTV News Channel is very distracting to listen to. Today he doing a lot of interviews, speaking too fast and generally rushing. His accent and odd phrasing are more pronounced when he is excited or speaking quickly and right now he is hard to watch in my opinion. He would have been better used out in the field as a reporter but not as an anchor. Right now he was interviewing Dr. Dr Allison McGeer Mount Sinai Hospital Director of Infection Control. One question she couldn't understand him, she asked him to repeat and he did, she still couldn't follow what he was talking about and he had to move on to another question.  Somebody has got to tell him to slow down.