sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2020 12:41 am  #31

Re: Beautiful Music

mace wrote:

I checked out crystalradio.ca. Sorry, My parent's musical tastes aren't for me. Not impressed when I was 17. Still not impressed at 67.

I was never a fan of the format either. It put me to sleep. I remember listening to CHAY years ago and thinking how nice it would be if somebody snuck a Led Zeppelin track into the playlist. That would wake them up.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 22, 2020 2:10 am  #32

It was a quiet and sleepy format my parents enjoyed. By today's standards, CHAY, CFCA were great personality, information and music stations in the past. I think CKOT in Tillsonburg hung on to this format on radio the longest. 

February 27, 2020 7:48 pm  #33

Radiowiz wrote:

mace wrote:

Buffalo had "JOY" 96.1 WJYE. I think the last station to drop the "Elevator Music" format, as we called it in our teen years, was 101.3 CKOT in Tillsonburg. The format change probably came shortly after Rogers purchased the station in 2017? Rochester's Beautiful station was also located at 101.3, WEZO, now WRRM.

Hey, while many might recall Joy 96 WJYE, don't forget that 107.7 also once spent some time as an easy listening station shortly before becoming the short lived WNUC, a country station. 

On the subject of Joy-fm96, I have been trying to identify and locate the piece of instrumental music that was used in television ads for the station during the mid to late 70s.  I am fairly certain it was based on a classical work, but it was neither Song of Joy by Beethoven, nor Mozart's Jesus Joy of Exaultation.  I hear the piece in my head but can't track it down.  Any suggestions?

February 28, 2020 12:34 am  #34

You may be referring to the 1972 hit, Joy by the English studio band Apollo 100, based on Johann Sebastian Bach’s Jesu, Joy of Men’s Desiring.

February 28, 2020 4:03 pm  #35

@ Hoops McCann -- which I always thought was "an abomination" as  the God-botherers say. Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring is, IMO, one of the most beautiful compositions of all time.

February 28, 2020 7:26 pm  #36

No, I Googled both of these and neither are the one I have in mind.  The one I'm thinking of was an orchestral number, relatively slow but a bit bouncy..  To be honest, it may not have been of classical origin, but I'd be surprised.  It also played on CHAY.  I really miss those stations.  when am740 started, I had such hope for it!