sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 16, 2020 2:44 pm  #1

Justin Timberlake's TV Interview: They Threw Urine At Me In Toronto

This has nothing to do with radio, per se, other than they play Timberlake's music and this "chat program" as they call it in Britain, wound up on TV here. But in an appearance on The Graham Norton Show this past week (seen locally on BBC Canada), he recalls the reaction of the audience at the Rolling Stones SARS concert in Toronto in 2003 when some in the crowd were literally pissed off that he was on the bill.

Toronto the Good? Not that day!

Justin Timberlake on That Time He Dodged Flying ‘Bottles of Urine’ on Stage

February 16, 2020 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Justin Timberlake's TV Interview: They Threw Urine At Me In Toronto

This cut from the BBC is a good example of some of BBC's mainstream or low brow programming that they do. Graham Norton is actually very funny and the show has been on for years. CBC or CTV should do something like this late night and interview celebrities that are visiting. Doesn't need to be all Canadian guests, sort of what Strombo used to do, but a little lighter and with more humour. Just be entertaining.

Always laugh at some of CBC's "snobbish" audience or Friends of Canadian Broadcasting who want the CBC to be just like the BBC. They don't seem to realize that BBC does a lot of mainstream even some politically incorrect programming as well as the upper crust stuff. But of course they wouldn't want any of that would they??  It might offend somebody!  Anyway, the canned laugh track on this clip in this is pretty bad! 

I don't think Canadians are as polite and friendly as the media likes to portray us. Just like anywhere else, we can be pretty crude.   Even though I am not a Justin Timberlake fan, nobody doing a charity event should have urine thrown at them and booed like he was at the SARS Concert.  Also remember reading that Mick was angry at the the crowd over this and told them so. And the Stones have skipped Toronto on their last one or two tours.  They certainly don't hang out here like they used to.

In addition to possibly being  out of place at the concert, it could have had a little to do with Timberlake's throwing Janet Jackson under the bus after the Super Bowl nipplegate affair.  This happened the year before the SARS Concert   A lot of people didn't like the way he handled that controversy.  She is more talented than him in my opinion and he left her out to dry, and her career was never the same after.

February 16, 2020 9:46 pm  #3

Re: Justin Timberlake's TV Interview: They Threw Urine At Me In Toronto

Agree, Rush and the washing machines were awesome. AC/DC and of course the Stones were pretty good too!  A memorable day for sure..