sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2020 8:46 pm  #1

Our local radio and TV stations get full marks on Kobe's passing

Both TSN Radio, who carried the Raptor's game today and Sportsnet had wall-to-wall coverage and Sportsnet TV...also did a nice treatment of this shocking news story today.

Given it happened on a gloomy Sunday and radio isn't known to be live to air...all sports outlets handled the situation and news very well.

Alicia Keys who is hosting tonight's Grammy's gave a heart felt moment and subsequent song in honour of Kobe's passing...

RIP to one of the sports greats and to his daughter...it is truly shocking...especially since Lebron just surpassed his points total in last night's game!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 26, 2020 9:12 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 27, 2020 11:58 am  #2

Re: Our local radio and TV stations get full marks on Kobe's passing

I actually thought the radio stations in this town did a good job overall for what was otherwise a sleepy Sunday afternoon. TSN1050 was carrying mostly the ESPN feed heading into the Raptors game, likely thinking there was no reason to have anyone live locally. Then came the news. 

The Fan did had live local hosts, notably Roger Lajoie and Josh Goldberg, who did a fairly good job with almost no prep time. 

Normally, I'd prefer local reaction, but the fact is ESPN was on top of this story and had access to many guests (and more producers) than the Fan, so it was great to have the choice of both a local and a network outlet to hear how the story was being handled as it was unfolding. 

And on the subject of coverage:

BBC Apologizes for Using LeBron James Footage in Kobe Bryant Memorial

January 27, 2020 3:50 pm  #3

Southern California radio stations go silent at noon in honor of Kobe Bryant

You can hear the announcement - or rather, non-announcement - at the Southern California Broadcasters Assn. website.   

The site gives a long list of instructions for stations to follow to ensure everyone goes silent at the same time. Here's my favourite warning: "Alert your engineering teams of this 1:08 minute silence, and they should monitor your stations to make sure your backup players do not activate during the silence."

Can't imagine anything worse than a moment of silence being interrupted by a standby spot, song or jingle when too much dead air is detected!

January 27, 2020 4:08 pm  #4

I tried to listen to this at 3 PM our time and a lot of the stations are geoblocked. I finally found one that isn't - KIIS-FM. I found it interesting that instead of complete silence, they filled the 1:08 with the sounds of a gentle breeze blowing and birds chirping.

Not exactly silence, but for a tight rock format, it's likely the equivalent.

January 27, 2020 4:33 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I tried to listen to this at 3 PM our time and a lot of the stations are geoblocked. I finally found one that isn't - KIIS-FM. I found it interesting that instead of complete silence, they filled the 1:08 with the sounds of a gentle breeze blowing and birds chirping.

It keeps the silence sensor from going off and triggering the backup audio to play.

January 27, 2020 4:36 pm  #6

I realize that, but they could have just adjusted the sensor to avoid the problem. I wonder if the other stations I couldn't hear did the same thing or fell completely silent, as the provided announcement on the Broadcasters site suggested. Either way, a nice touch I thought.

January 27, 2020 4:53 pm  #7

Sensors are at the transmitter and often not remote controlled. Given that this was a last minute decision, they may not have been able to get to the sites in time. Even the biggest markets are short-staffed for engineers these days. Had to do it once on Remembrance Day when weather made the transmitter inaccessible. 

January 28, 2020 12:57 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Not that it matters a great deal but KIIS is CHR not rock.

January 28, 2020 1:11 am  #9

I was using rock in its most generic term but technically, you're correct.

January 29, 2020 10:01 pm  #10

This is the sad result when the race to be first takes over the need to be accurate. 

ABC News suspends reporter over inaccurate statement that all of Kobe Bryant's children were killed in crash