sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2020 11:20 pm  #1

When You Can't Bring Yourself To Turn Off A Local Radio Trainwreck

I normally never listen to 2 minutes of commercials on a radio station. But on Saturday night, something happened on CKTB in St. Catharines that I simply could not turn off.

It was an audio trainwreck that was unlike anything I’ve ever heard in the era of automation. The station airs the Bell Media show “Viewpoints” at the same time as CFRB does on Saturday night. But when I accidentally tuned into 610, I noticed they were at least half an hour ahead of their Toronto counterpart.

I have no idea why, but the show finished at the odd time of 9:38 PM, and it was followed by the Canadian Press newscast from the previous hour, also airing at a strange time. That took five minutes. What, I wondered, would they do to fill the rest of the time between 9:42 and 10 PM?

Turns out, the software kept playing CKTB promos. Not one. Not two. But dozens and dozens and dozens of them, some 15 seconds in length, others 30. On and on and on they went, minute after minute after minute.

I have to admit it was like watching a car wreck. You don’t want to look but you simply can’t turn away. How long could this possibly go on?

By 10:05 PM – now more than 20 minutes in - it was still underway, the same promos repeated endlessly again and again with no one there to stop this ghastly waste of airtime.

Finally, at 10:06 PM, the weekend repeat of Coast to Coast began, ending what has to be the all time record for useless clutter ever heard on an Ontario radio station.

And it’s a funny thing – none of those promos for their sports coverage, Ice Dogs hockey, NBC Radio news affiliations or to remind me for the 87th time that they’re “The Voice of Niagara” made me want to listen to them at all.

Automation is an amazing technology. Except when it doesn’t work. Then it’s simply a trainwreck. And the station went off the rails on Saturday night. And I'm guessing only a radio nut like yours truly would stay tuned through the whole thing, just to hear when it might come to an agonizing end.

January 26, 2020 10:46 pm  #2

Re: When You Can't Bring Yourself To Turn Off A Local Radio Trainwreck

I had a trip from Blue Mountain to Glencoe today and tuned in FM96 once I got to Listowel. I find this station to be very professional and have never noticed an air on slip up  until today. During the airing of the Top 20  Rock songs in Canada, several times there was a bleed in of what sounded like cuts of an interview being edited that aired simultaneously . Either a board op mistake or computer issue ? Annoying at the very least. 

January 27, 2020 3:15 pm  #3

Re: When You Can't Bring Yourself To Turn Off A Local Radio Trainwreck

Zoomer Radio had a bit of a glitch going from the news at noon going into the Fight Back show. Once the news ended, the intro music began to play, and play, and play, then a few seconds of silence. Then they played two songs before finally getting the show underway.Libby apologized for the technical glitch. When they went to begin talking to a guest on the phone, it took three tries before the guest could hear Libby, and Libby could clearly hear the guest. Things seemed to move smoothly for the rest of the program,